Please sign in to post.

Am I crazy?

I am planning a 2 week vacation in Italy, and these are the places I want to see. Please tell me if I'm nuts thinking I can get this all done in 2 weeks. Rome, Florence, Siena, Venice, Switzerland, Amalfi Coast, and Sicily. I HAVE to spend 3 days in Sicily because I have alot of family there. Any suggestions on an itinerary?

Posted by
689 posts

Make Switzerland another adventure at another time.

Fly into either Venice or Sicily (depending on the dates you have to be in Sicily) and fly out from the other. It can be done. You won't have much time along the way - but make the journey the adventure.

Posted by
1446 posts

Hi Lori. I personally think that even if you drop Switzerland, your itinerary is still too ambitious. Make sure you take into account travel time between all these places & how much of your time will be spent getting to/from each place, checking into and out of hotels, waiting for trains, etc. For example, travel time between Venice & the Amalfi Coast alone will eat up much of a day. I like to travel at a fairly fast pace, but I think your itinerary is a bit too fast to really stop and enjoy each place. Also, you don't say which airports you're flying into and out of but I would suggest flying open jaw (into one city & out of another). Your itinerary can certainly be done but know that you will be packing up every few days and moving to a new place. Have a wonderful time in Italy!

Posted by
15602 posts

Consider seeing Siena as a day trip from Florence. Either start in Venice and work your way south, or start in Sicily and work your way north. Take into account that your first day and maybe the next, you are likely to be tired and certain to be jetlagged, so don't plan to see or do too much on your first day or so. That might be a good time to have family taking care of you.....

Posted by
5 posts

Thank you to everyone for their advice! It's great that there is a forum like this to answer everyone's questions. I think I will follow the advice on going to Sicily first since there will be some jet-lag once we get there. After 3 days of visiting with relatives and eating like royalty, we will be ready to hit the road and see the sights!!

Lori