Please sign in to post.

Almalfi coast

Hi, A few questions, as I'm not familiar at all with this part of Italy. My niece is studying in Florence. She'd like to get to and stay along the Almalfi coast from either 4/5 or 4/6 through 4/8. Going back to Florence on the 8th (Easter Sun.). Would appreciate how she and a friend would get there and back and any recommendations on where to stay. They don't have any preference on towns to stay in. Budget would be around or under 100 Euro/night for 2 people. Thank you. Paul

Posted by
257 posts

Paul, I suggest to stay in Sorrento as the base to visit the Amalfi Coast. Sorrento have a lot of hotels. easy public buses to Amalfi coast towns and ferry to Capri Island. From Florence to Sorrento. She can take the train to Naples Central station and going down stair to change to Circumvesuviana (local ) train to Sorrento.
From Florence to Naples, it will take about three and half hours, and from Naples to Sorrento will take about one hour and five minutes. Since she is going back to Florence on Easter Sun, I recommend pre-book the train round trip to Naples. The Circumvesuviana is not a problem, it is like public bus, you can not pre-book it. You can get on it but you might not have a seat.

Posted by
1829 posts

Be aware that in previous years the Circumvesuviana has shut down in the middle of the day on Easter Sunday.

Posted by
2921 posts

Thank you for the good advice. Do you think they'd have a problem getting back to Florence by train if the left before noon on Easter Sunday?