Please sign in to post.

Alitalia

Have never flown them but will be this coming Fri.....just wondering how strict they are with luggage....carry on size, checked baggage weight etc. Thanks
Ron

Posted by
653 posts

My experience with Alitalia is that it varies from extremely strict to rather liberal. I think the fuller the flight, the stricter the rules are enforced.

Posted by
3940 posts

we flew fr London-Rome with Alitalia and hubby and I both had a carry on, plus 1 personal size bag each - don't think anyone weighed or measured (but I'm sure they know eyeballing it if it's standard (this was 08, so not sure if things have changed)...can't speak for checked luggage weight - we didn't have any

Posted by
32171 posts

Ron, I may be taking a few flights with Alitalia this year, so I'll be interested to hear of your experiences. At one time, they had somewhat of a "reputation" for losing checked luggage, but I've heard this has improved lately. Happy travels!

Posted by
791 posts

Thanks for the info guys. I'll follow up when we return on good/bad info.

Posted by
791 posts

The wife had an Alitalia flight from Verona to London (via Rome) a few weeks ago and they made her check her carry on even though it fit in that thing that they use as a guide because it was a couple pounds over the weight limit.

Posted by
2207 posts

Ron, like many things in Italy,and I'm sure you know this first-hand, it depends on WHO is checking or monitoring. I've flown Alitalia many times. Since I primarily carry-on when using the shorter flights, I often get "checked." Sometimes, I've been forced to gate-check my bag. My last Alitalia flight was almost laughable. I'm waiting in line at the counters in Rome's T1 and there are two open counters for my flight. The young lady handling the line on the left was meticulous; she weighed and made you label EVERYTHING. At the right counter, with a MUCH longer line (but moving MUCH faster), was an older gentleman who probably didn't care if you brought parts of the Colosseo in your carry-on. I headed "right" with my overstuffed carry-on and scooted through. I find Alitalia to be inconsistent in almost everything - and that includes luggage handling. They do hold the record for losing my luggage most often... but I'll admit they have been better in the past couple of years! I don't avoid them, but they're not my first choice unless availability and price dictate.

Posted by
791 posts

Thanks guys. I most definetly know what you mean Ron!
Read through your lost luggage page.....I've followed most of those tips for years but it's never even crossed my mind to take pics of the luggage!! Thanks!

Posted by
72 posts

They have never weighed my luggage. I travel with 22" carry on only and they have never measured or weighed anything (or has any other airline for that matter).

Posted by
72 posts

They have never weighed my luggage. I travel with 22" carry on only and they have never measured or weighed anything (or has any other airline for that matter).

Posted by
7737 posts

They weighed both of our carryons, but let us through even though both bags were about 20% over their limit. I like to think my speaking some Italian helped. :-)

Posted by
791 posts

Well, happy to say that our Alitalia experience went good. No lost luggage, no hassles. They didn't even bother to look at our carry ons in Bologna, weighed them in Athens but were'nt strict about it as they were a kilo or so over. Thanks again for the info everyone.

Posted by
2 posts

Very strick, even with three people traveling and only two bag, one wich was 1 kg over, they refused to acknowledge the two bags for three people and want to charge $75 - Additionally -
Used Alitalia for a trip to Rome for 5 people - absolutely the most miserable experience in my over 30 years of air travel. Aside from plane's interior held together with duct tape, the sound system was impaired and loudly hissed/crackled throught the flight making the movie viewing and sleeping impossible. Acccording to check-in, No accomodations would be made to seat the 5 of us together to prevent any other peanut eating person from affecting one member who had a life threatening allergy. When we made a fuss about seating together, they said they did not even know if they would allow the person with the allergy to even board the plane as they felt unsafe. The pilot would decide before take off - nonsense!! The stress, poorly organised boarding, terrible, worn out seats, unhappy flight crew, unavailable service, and poorly maintained cabin appearance would make me in no way ever recommend this airline. If you have an allergy or travel with a child with an allergy - avoid this airline.

Posted by
290 posts

On one flight this year they enforced the standard European "one carryon ONLY" rule (which is distinct from our "one carryon plus one personal item" rule on US airlines). On my other flight with them this year they were letting things slide and people were coming on board with all kinds of stuff. I do think that it depends on whether the flight originates in the States (then they are more lax, probably because they know that US airlines allow more and that is what the folks are used to), vs. those that originate in Europe. That said, as I just said on another thread, I try to avoid Alitalia. Generally I would prefer to fly Delta or KLM -- better planes, better level of service, etc.

Posted by
7737 posts

FWIW, just like the other Alitalia topic, this topic is eight months old.