Please sign in to post.

Alitalia

Are the horror stories really true. I dont know what difference it makes since we booked the flight from Chicago to Palermo via Rome. What can anyone recommend to minimize the discomfort that is expected on Alitalia?

Posted by
163 posts

I went through the same worries a couple of months ago. One leg of our flight took us on Alitalia from Rome to Amsterdam....was nervous about this for MONTHS before our trip - read the same horror stories. Reality - that leg of the trip couldn't have gone better. Had a minor prob with our boarding passes, but a lady immediately helped us and figured it out. Our flight was on time and comfortable - no complaints at all. I think your odds are probably higher that something will go wrong with Alitalia - but in all actuality, those things happen all the time, with every airline company. No discomfort at all, but we didn't check luggage, so that may have helped make it go smoother and is something you might want to consider - if at all possible. Good luck, hope it goes well for you!

Posted by
10344 posts

Janet: Go to the Transportation forum to read 70+ comments in an older topic thread that, I think, directly addresses your concerns and hopefully will help (although it's probably not what you want to know, but apparently you already do know anyway)

Or if you want to just click below to go to that topic thread

http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm/rurl/topic/4370/the-worst-airline-alitalia.html

Do note that most of the comments on that thread are a year and a half old, things may have changed.