Please sign in to post.

Airport transportation

We are arriving at Fumiccino next week, and are trying to find the best way to our hotel. We are staying at the Marriott on via Frederico Cesi. I want to take the Leo. Ex. to Termini , then the metro across the river to the Lepanto stop. My wife says one of the bus companies will drop us off near the Vatican, which is close to the hotel. Which is the quickest way to our final destination? Thanks for the help.

Posted by
8125 posts

I'm sorry, but I don't see where there is a Marriott on via Frederico Cesi. There is a LeMeridian Viscount, however. ;And there is not any Metro station close to that street. You might want to verify the property you are staying at, and a cab might better suit your needs from Rome Termini.

Posted by
15800 posts

Guessing this is Le Méridien Visconti (Méridien is a specific line of Marriott international hotels) Via Federico Cesi, 37, 00193 Roma RM, Italy

SIT is the shuttle bus which has a dropoff in the Prati neighborhood (location nearest your hotel).

https://www.adr.it/web/aeroporti-di-roma-en-/pax-fco-bus

According to their website, the dropoff area in Prati is at via Crescenzio, 28.

https://www.sitbusshuttle.com/en/bus-stops/

From there, you are a 6-block or so walk northeast to the hotel, which is over near the river on Prati's eastern edge and not really 'near' the Vatican, depending on your idea of what 'close' is. Have you looked up the location on a map?

From the Lepanto metro station you are about a 7-block walk southeast.

From a convenience and cost aspect, at just €6 pp the bus is going to be the better choice. If taking the Leo. Express ( €14 pp) you'd have to change to the metro at Termini (€1.5 pp) to get to the Prati Lepanto stop and then walk those 7 blocks. The bus is cheaper and gets you closer without the need to transfer to another mode of transport: get off at the stop and walk 6 blocks. The airport buses are very comfortable; we took one once from the airport to Termini.

A cab from the airport directly to the hotel would cost you €48. Some folks enjoy that door-to-door convenience and think it's well worth the $$ but we've taken airport buses + walked to our hotels and been fine with that too. Depends on weather and how well you handle hauling your own luggage. We've also stayed just 2 blocks from the Lepanto station and walked all over Rome from there but we're used to frequent long treks.

Posted by
2701 posts

Two of you with luggage? By all means take a taxi to your hotel. Otherwise do the train, metro, bus walk and schlep combination of your choice and maybe save 10- 15 Euro. Does not pencil out.

Posted by
4802 posts

Since you asked for the best way, consider a private car service. Generally speaking, they only cost a small bit more than a regular taxi. When one is sleepy, tired, jet lagged, and on unfamiliar ground, there is nothing better than having a private driver meet you inside the terminal and take you to the hotel. We've used Rome Cabs (not a cab company despite the name) numerous times and have always been pleased. Send them an email detailing your needs and you should get a quote within twenty four hours. Just google them to get their web site.

Posted by
15800 posts

As you can see, wspfldma, 'best' is very much up to personal preference! There's no wrong answer as long as it works for your needs and within your budget. :O)

For instance, we tend to avoid taxis or hired drivers as I can become desperately carsick if riding in the backseat of a vehicle; trains and coach-type buses are much easier on my stomach.

Posted by
238 posts

Arriving at 8:30 in the morning after a particularly sleepless flight, we took a cab direct to our hotel. Flat rate of 48 euros.

If you decide to go that route, make sure you take an official cab - once you leave the arrival hall, go right until you reach the taxi stand where there will be rows of official white cabs. There will be an attendant that will direct you to the next available cab. As you leave the building, you will have to run the gauntlet of drivers willing to take you within the Aurelian walls quoting cheaper rates and showing you their ID hanging around their necks - just push on until you get to the taxi stand otherwise you will get scammed

Posted by
7209 posts

Anytime I see tourists staying at Marriot properties I always guess they’re using “points” for a free hotel room. My advice is always to NOT plan your vacation around hotel points.

Posted by
375 posts

To Tim, what is your reason to not plan a trip using points for hotel stays? I’ve stayed at some very lovely, unique, historically significant hotels on points which enhanced my travels. By using points, I had more travel dollars to use so I could extend my trips.

Posted by
315 posts

I follow a procedure for transportation from an airport to my hotel.

1. Search FCO airport site for how to get to and from the airport to a destination. FCO site gives multiple options: Bus, Train, Drive, Taxi. Not the best airport site for travel cuz it sends you to links.

2. Search the lodging site. M. Viscontin. Options: Drive, Taxi, Bus, Metro. Bus stop P.za Cavour plus 0.1 mi walk. Metro Lepanto plus 0.3 mi walk. Not the best information. It is a Marriott...service... email asking for directions from the Roma Termini.

3. Rome2Rio site Roma Termini to P.za Cavour (careful there are more than one P.za Cavour). Could put the address in. Bus #70 every 20 minutes.

4. Due to the location of your lodging it looks like you will need to get familiar with Bus 70 and others.

Now, my experience.

The airport signs direct you to the Bus option. It is busy area with lots of buses. There is a sales office for all shuttle buses as you walk into the bus area or if you pass it as you turn around from looking at the buses. The advantage is cost. The disadvantage it is not much of a ride and it is slow. Luggage is placed in hold. I would not do this option again.

The Leonardo express is clean, efficient and worth the extra cost.

Bus to our lodging was clean, efficient and our luggage was securely held on to. If no handicap riders then stand in their area with your luggage.

I will add the Metro while efficient is very crowded. In the train and to and from train. I would not travel the Metro with luggage. I might even consider steel toed shoes to protect my toes from those that step on them.

Posted by
15800 posts

Just IMHO, the location of this hotel really isn't all that bad for sightseeing if one is not couch potato. We liked Prati; felt more residential than some other areas of Rome but still within very reasonable reach of lots of attractions.

There's another recent poster thinking they'll use hotel points for a different upscale brand that really IS in an inconvenient location for sightseeing. I'm sort of concerned about that one!

Posted by
32200 posts

As you'll be arriving in a jet lagged and tired condition, I'd suggest either....

• take the Leonardo Express to Roma Termini and then a Taxi to your hotel OR
  • take one of the Taxis direct from the airport that offers flat rate service for €48. This firm seems to get good reviews on the forum - https://www.romecabs.com/ .
Posted by
11294 posts

For two people going to this particular hotel, taking the Leonardo Express followed by a taxi is going to save very little, if any, money over just taking a flat rate taxi from the airport.