Please sign in to post.

Airlines to Italy

Ciao tutti!
Our family just moved from Europe to Canada (the Netherlands to be exact) last year and we have no experience with booking flights to Europe. Normally we would just drive to Italy. Can you help us with tips for booking flights from Canada to Italy? Thank you for your help. Kind regards

Posted by
917 posts

Air Canada flies to the most destinations with direct flights to major cities in Europe from Toronto and Montreal. If you live anywhere else you will probably need to fly from home airport to Toronto or Montreal and get a connecting flight to wherever you want to go. KLM and Lufthansa also offer service but will require a connecting flight in Amsterdam or Frankfurt or Munich.

Westjet also offer services to Europe as does Air Transat. Always make your reservation with the airline, though it’s helpful to use Skyscanner to find potential flights.

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks so much for your help! We are actually on the island (BC) so we would have to fly to Vancouver for sure.

Posted by
605 posts

Vancouver is my home airport. There are differences seasonally with many more options for flights from Vancouver to European cities April-October. Unfortunately none are direct to Italy. Lufthansa has a flight to Munich April-October which we previously planned to use for a trip to Italy, Torino at the start and Napoli to finish (unfortunately we had to cancel our trip). This autumn we are hoping to do a modified version of that trip and we are going to go AC Vancouver-Montreal-Milan. We prefer transferring through Montreal to Toronto as it isn’t quite as hectic. KLM has almost daily flights YVR to Schipol which might suit you given your familiarity with the Netherlands:)

Posted by
20 posts

Thanks Claire, this helps a lot! I was thinking that flying into Germany would also be a good option but Schiphol is also a possibility of course. Thank you! Hope you are able to make your trip to Italy this year, sounds great.

Posted by
20 posts

Hi Periscope, wow that sounds very smooth. I will check this out for sure (for future). Thanks for sharing your tips!

Posted by
15507 posts

From Vancouver BC airport (YVR) there are many solutions, although none are non stop. The main ones with one stop only are:

AIR CANADA/UNITED/LUFTHANSA (all Star Alliance members): via Toronto, Montreal, Frankfurt, Munich, Washington DC, Chicago, San Francisco
AIR FRANCE-KLM/DELTA (Sky Team Alliance): via Paris CDG, Amsterdam, Minneapolis
BRITISH AIRWAYS/AMERICAN (One World Alliance): Via London LHR, Chicago, Charlotte

Besides Google Flights and Skyscanner, I also use Kayak and Momondo (these two sites merged but I check both, but I think now the results are the same). The above are all Aggregators.

A list of websites (both Aggregators and Online Travel Agencies) to consider for your searches is below.

https://www.frommers.com/slideshows/848046-the-10-best-and-worst-airfare-search-sites-for-2024

Posted by
20 posts

Thank you Roberto da Firenze! (Love your last name!) I am very grateful for all the tips and going to write these down. Have a good week!

Posted by
4 posts

I wanted to use my miles to have a premium economy seat for my trip next October. It was confusing so I signed with Point.Me and they found the tickets and booked the flights for me.