Please sign in to post.

Airfares for Summer

I've been waiting to by my air from PHL To FCO and now it's going up again, we are planning on leaving the 3rd of July and coming back 18th of July. It's back up to $1200 a ticket should I wait any longer or just bite the bullet and buy today?

Posted by
51 posts

http://www.bing.com/travel/

try this, it has a confidence ranking for you to review. I use it every time.

Yep, 1165 on US Airways, direct.

Try imputing the 4-18th and it will tell you to wait as fares are predicted to drop. 75% confident!

Posted by
3107 posts

Valerie, I suggest you go to the "Transportation" forum and read the "Summer Airfare" thread.

Some of us have had a bad outcome relying on the advice given here. The "experts" aren't all that good at predicting things, expecially this year.

Note that that the 75% confidence referred to above actually breaks down on the Bing website to:

fare will stay the same---38%
fare will go down 37%
fare will go up 25%

This is accompanied by a graph that shows the current price is very near the lowest is that been in 2010, having taken a drop in mid-March and stayed there.

Also note that both Bing and Kayak say that the lowest price for a July 3 departure is 1165, but if you leave on July 4 Kayak says it goes up to $1219 and Bing says it goes down to $1135. Go figure.

Good luck to you.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks everyone for your advice. I've decided to buy today and not worry about it. All though it is the highest I have every purchased tickets to Italy. Ciao...

Posted by
3250 posts

I think you did the right thing Valerie! Now you can focus on planning the rest of your trip.

Posted by
129 posts

my jaw dropped when i started searching last week for flights to venice...double of what i paid last year at this time...i then gave it a rest for a few days and came back and the prices were way down on the same exact searches...still not great but better and i booked...has anyone ever heard that booking on a tuesday is the best day for fares?

Posted by
1018 posts

Airfare is going to be expensive this year, and it was last year, as well. You did the right thing to buy now and start planning your trip. You can drive yourself crazy trying to save the last dollar. Go and have fun.

Buon viaggio,

RB