Please sign in to post.

Airfare? Does a $937 RT from SFO to Rome seem reasonable? Can I do better?

Does $1873 round trip seem reasonable for two round trip tickets from San Francisco to Rome in September? It's the cheapest flight I could find with only one layover, but don't know if it will go up/down closer to September? Any thoughts?

Posted by
7737 posts

No one knows if it will go up or down. $937 is a fair price for September. Buy the tickets and don't look at airfares again. You can ruin your vacation if you start obsessing about this.

Posted by
12 posts

I'm such a bargain hunter...I can't help myself. But you are right, I need to just go for it and not look back!! Thank you!!

Posted by
46 posts

I agree with Michael. I am flying to Roma from Sarasota in June and started watching ticket prices MONTHS ago. I kept on waiting for prices to go down. They never really did, maybe a hundred dollars or so, and all the time I spent checking, was ridiculous. I think your fare sounds wonderful! Grab some great seats and start planning your trip!

Posted by
1633 posts

Jenny, like you said, depends on the date in September and how inconvenienced you are willing to be. I just saw fares for $422 one way, with one stop but leaving SFO a 6:15 a.m. The same $422 can be had for two stops. Check www.aa.com

Posted by
9422 posts

I think the price is excellent. I'd buy them now.

Posted by
348 posts

Airfares are up this year and that is a pretty good rate, I would book as they are not coming down so far. good thing is the euro is down

Posted by
9422 posts

Anything under $1000 from SFO isn't reasonable, it's excellent.

Posted by
333 posts

That is one of the best prices I have seen from SFO-Rome. I'd jump on it.

Posted by
11507 posts

Jenny, I'm with most on this, that sounds like a great fare to me. I'd book it and bargain hunt for accomadations now.

Posted by
2026 posts

You might like to hear that last September we paid nearly $1200 each round trip Columbus, OH to Rome. Had I known, we might have taken a layover in San Francisco to start the trip!

Posted by
712 posts

I felt the same way as you as I am also flying to Rome in September. And I got the point where I was overly stressing myself out about the "what-ifs" of airfare travel. Since there is really no way you can forsee what will happen in the airfare industry even for tomorrow, I say just go for it. Once you get the plane tickets out the way, you feel such a calm and then you can start planning for your accomodations and the like, things that you DO have control over. If you honestly feel you are overpaying for airfare, then maybe you can make it up by staying at a less expensive hotel. Or eating one less gelato ...no nevermind that. Plus, there is NO worse feeling in the world than waiting for an airfare price to drop and it actually ends up increasing by $300...

Posted by
1170 posts

That's an excellent price coming from San Fran. Just read the fine print before you buy. Is this through the airline or a travel website?

Posted by
348 posts

USAirways 935\
United 945
Continental 944
Would see which has the best schedule for you and book it. Others on the site may assist with booking hotel rooms advice

Posted by
12 posts

Wow...thank you SO MUCH everybody! I went ahead and booked the flight, and felt much more confident in doing so because of all your feedback. And yes, it feels great to be done with that part...now the fun part...planning our itinerary!!! I'm new to this site and am loving all the great info! Happy travels!!!

Posted by
3 posts

Hi Jenny,
If you have already bought your tickets, read no further. If not, maybe this info will be helpful:
I bought tickets in March to travel in mid-June from sfo to rome with a short stop in NYC. It was about $1200 round trip. I watched for about 3 weeks before purchasing and played with our dates just a bit and found if we stayed a few days longer, our price was lower. It costs more to fly out on a Sat or sunday, so we are leaving on a Monday instead. Delta seemed to have the best prices and humane schedules.

Posted by
475 posts

Hi Jenny~
I bought tickets for $940 round trip from Denver to Milan in September and am very happy. Have been watching fares for about 9 months. I was told under $1000 is good and I took the advice. Also good advice to just buy if you find a rate that is good and then stop watching :)

Posted by
160 posts

That sounds great to me Jenny! I have been watching flights since Decemeber and have not seen anything less than $1000 and that's from the east coast! Just booked about a month ago (we are traveling in July so I realize its slightly different). We pd a little over a $1000 and found USAir had the best flight options from Boston. I'm sure that varies w/hubs depending on where you are. I was on all the travel sites suggested here as well. BOOK IT and then don't look back :)!

Posted by
3551 posts

I think it is a good fare. Rome is traditionally expensive and sales are usually not avail for Rome. I have been watching/buying european fares since 2000. If it were me I owuld buy it for sure. Hopefully that includes all taxes and fuel surcharges.

Posted by
712 posts

Last year I flew RT from Pittsburgh to Milan for a total of $521, including taxes and fees. I was so spoiled that I insisted on not paying more than that this year. I soon discovered that was definately a streak of luck and it wasn't going to happen again so I had better get over it. Ended up paying $689 from NYC to Rome which is still a wonderful deal, but I wasn't going to jump on it at first because I was being narrow-minded.