Please sign in to post.

Airbnb refunds

I have airbnb bookings in Italy from June 17th to July 1 that I will be cancelling. Airbnb just changed thier extenuating cancelations policy for no fees due to covid19 only to June 15th and it was Up to May 31 since February. Right now if I canceled, I would be charged cancel fees of $325 total. I am just wondering why Airbnb would only extend the policy only 15 days. I’m wondering if I should be worried about my deposits. Just putting this out to the forum for your thoughts on this. Thanks,
Janet

Posted by
11179 posts

They could be 'metering' the flood of requests to a manageable level.

Posted by
23267 posts

Second -- no one knows what the future will be. So rolling slowly forward, hoping that something may be resolved, established, etc. Waiting to see what develops.

Posted by
2829 posts

Everybody is doing that, including, until last week, Rick Steves. That way, they have a steady number of new refund cases do deal through their back-offices, and they also don't 'jump the gun' in case countries reopen for tourism (legally) yet demand for rooms is too low, while they have already refunded those who had committed pre-pandemic.

Posted by
4517 posts

You'll have to hang on. I waited till a week before my reservation and then it became 100% refundable. It's a bit nerve-racking.

Posted by
7049 posts

I am just wondering why Airbnb would only extend the policy only 15
days.

It helps them to preserve cash flow and stay flexible in a changing, unpredictable landscape. Many (if not most) businesses are in that same boat.

I’m wondering if I should be worried about my deposits.

The best thing you can do is sit tight and wait, and see what happens. Worrying won't help get your deposits back.

Posted by
5835 posts

It helps them to preserve cash flow and stay flexible in a changing....

It may a case of Airbnb operating off of negative working capital, or "other people's money" (OPM). They collect a deposit and/or advance payment that becomes a liability. They use your (other people's) money to finance current operations in place of lines of credit (borrowing). Or if the OPM exceeds their operational needs, they invest the excess in short term financial instruments. The bottom line is Airbmb makes (or saves) money holding on to your payments as long as possible and delays paying their vendors as long as possible.

Where the OPM financing breaks down is with Fed rates getting close to negative, there is not a lot of gain investing your money in short term instruments. However, they need to avoid cost of selling the short term notes before maturity. Hence, Airbnb need to hold on to your money as long as possible.

Posted by
222 posts

Each host sets their own cancellation policy, Typically you will only lose the cleaning/maintenance fees when you cancel. Make sure to always check their bookings for returns when you rent.

Posted by
304 posts

Contact your host and ask them to cancel the reservation. Exceptionally, given the circumstances and only up until 15th May, hosts can cancel bookings for this summer without being penalised and guests get a full refund. I know, I'm a host.

Posted by
336 posts

my 3 booking refunds went through smoothly. let's see when the money shows up back in my account.