Please sign in to post.

Airbnb in Rome

Does anyone have a recommendation for an Airbnb in Rome for 2 couples in our 50's traveling together. We would need 2 bedrooms. I am not sure what the best location would be. We will be staying for 4 nights and doing all things touristy. I am overwhelmed by the options on the Airbnb and VRBO websites and would like to nail down a neighborhood so I can do a better search.

Posted by
381 posts

We have been to Rome several times and stayed in different neighborhoods but Trastevere is our favorite. The last time we stayed in a former monastery and it was wonderful. There is also a train from Trastevere that will take you to the airport without having to go back through the main train station. I am quite sure you could find a two bedroom flat on VRBO or Airbnb in that neighborhood.

Posted by
2348 posts

hey hey PattyG
what are your dates? are you only looking at airbnb or does it matter? i would also look for a 2bed/2bath, any mobility issues, carrying luggage up steep stairs/steps, ;lift/elevator, what floor it's on, budget in euros?
we stayed in the piazza navona/pantheon area and liked it, some like the monti, trastervere, vatican or prati. lots of walking to tourist places, don't be afraid to get a taxi (at taxi stops-no hailing) if feet are sore, sit relax at a cafe with glass of vino and people watch and take in the magic of rome.
aloha

Posted by
4 posts

We will be there April 18-22, 2020. We are not locked into Airbnb but would like an apartment or flat. No mobility issues :-) Since it is only for sleeping I am thinking around $200 Euros a night?

Posted by
776 posts

We stayed at Casa Pantheon in the Pantheon neighborhood--just search Casa Pantheon Rome. Two bedrooms and two baths. One bedroom is very quiet, the other faces the plaza and is noisier, although I think they were about to get air conditioning. We thought the hosts were great. We stayed there for 7 or 8 nights.

Edited to add that we stayed there in May of 2018 with another couple. We are in our 60s.

Posted by
16808 posts

We stayed with our daughter and her husband in a beautiful 2-bedroom 2-bath apartment in
Trastevere and loved the location and the apartment. It is right off the end of Ponte Sisto on a tiny square; we walked to the Forum and Colosseum, the Pantheon, and even to the Vatican (a longer walk but doable). It has a very pleasant rooftop terrace where we dined each night, and another terrace above that. The decor is modern and bright, and the master bathroom rainshower is amazing.

You can see photos on their own website but book it on Air BnB. That availability calendar says it is available for your dates for $209-$220 a night, which is within your 200 euro budget.

http://www.malvapalace.com/#palace

Caveats:

There are a lot of stairs, as each room is on a different level. The tiny kitchen is on the first floor, then you go up to the master suite which also serves as a common living area; then up another level to the second bedroom. I cannot recall if the rooftop terrace is on that level or up one more. We did not mind the stairs at all but some people might.

Another thing is that the accommodations are unequal. The master suite is larger and has a nicer bathroom. But it is less private if you end up using the sitting area as common space like we did. For us and our adult kids it was fine to have the inequality (we were paying!), but for two couples you might have to work our a fairness system to remain friends. Rock Paper Scissors? Or divide the cost 55/45 instead of 50/50?

Posted by
1457 posts

We now always stay in Testaccio a little north of the train and metro station, but only once with more than just the two of us.

Last April, we stayed here with our family:
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/19237258?source_impression_id=p3_1571012165_mkNUKDIg0sRp84Ls

If you ignore the sofa bed, it is quite a nice place on the Via Galvani. Maybe they've gotten rid of that thing by now. Both bedrooms and bathrooms are great and the kitchen is small but modern. Washing machine. Tiny balcony. AC. Near perfect reviews. Close to some wonderful restaurants.

We love the non-touristy neighborhood and the close access to buses, metro, trams, and trains (like the train that goes to Ostia Antica). It's a 22 minute walk from the apartment to the Colosseum, just for one example of how compact the center of Rome is. It's even a quicker walk to Trastevere.

Posted by
1626 posts

We are staying at an apartment in Rome now that’s great that we reserved on booking.com.
2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms (hard to find), washing machine, breakfast coupons at local Bar (coffee and pastry). About a 15 minute walk from train station, and 15 to Colosseum. One of the bedrooms is pretty small but workable. Windows open onto courtyard so quiet!

We are two couples in our 60s and apt. worked out great (about €200 a night for 3 nights was the non refundable option, including tax and cleaning.)

Here’s link- Leopardi Apartment
This is in Monti neighborhood. Also elevator.

Posted by
956 posts

I stayed at an Airbnb in the Prati neighborhood (area north of Vatican) and enjoyed it. It’s a nice, middle-class neighborhood, all locals with plenty of restaurants. It’s a more modern street plan, easier to navigate though without the medieval character of the city center. Prati is convenient to the Vatican, and has good Metro connections to the major Roman sights. I found it very easy to visit a major site, then pop back via Metro for a quiet meal and siesta. I’d certainly stay there over anything near Termini. There are a lot of Airbnb options in this area.