Please sign in to post.

Air Conditioning in Venice

My family will be in Venice in late July. We are considering renting an apartment for one week. However, most of the apartments have no air conditioning. Is this going to be a problem?

Regards,
Terry

Posted by
10344 posts

People who have been in Venice in the summer have reported they were glad to have AC, for two reasons: heat/humidity and mosquitoes. If you don't have AC you have to sleep with your windows open and Venice hotel rooms don't often come with window screens. The mosquitoes from the canals come in (read the post about the room being black with mosquitoes, 4th post down in that thread. Here's the link: get AC in Venice in July

Posted by
805 posts

It could well be. Venice can be quite hot and humid that time of year.

Posted by
405 posts

if you don't have AC (which you probably won't) you could get a $7 mosquito net from a store like Ikea and hang it from the light fixture (which is hopefully directly above your bed). If you open the window at night, be sure to turn off lights beforehand. I think the link Kent posted includes suggestions about electric coil mosquito repellents which you can buy in Italy. Or you could spray mosquito repellent on a towel and put it near your pillow which is what i do in Italy.

Posted by
3580 posts

I think attaching the mosquito netting to the window would work. Take some duct tape.

Posted by
7737 posts

Set aside the mosquito issue. You'll want AC to dry out the very humid air or you'll be miserable at night. We just got back from Venice where temperatures were very mild and we were so happy we had AC to help us sleep at night.

Posted by
636 posts

Agreed. One of the most important criterion for selecting our hotels (for upcoming trip) was air conditioning, even in Vernazza (which required a splurge, since most places don't have a.c. there).