Please sign in to post.

Air BnB

Has anyone ever had a host ask for passport details to give to the police? We are staying in an apartment in Vernazza. The host asked for all of our passport information to give to police or an image of the passport. They say it is required or they could get a fine. Thoughts?

Posted by
110 posts

When we went to Rome a few years back, we had to give the hotel our passports. I'm not sure how it works for AirBNB hosts.

Posted by
3123 posts

I believe it is the law in Italy to get the guest's passport details.
These are then given to a branch of the police.
I have rented many apartments in Italy, and have always had to produce my passport to show to the person checking you in.
I always take copies of my passport, and years ago, the host took a copy for their files.
Latterly they seem to want to just have a quick glance at the passport.
It's the way they work, and not a scam.

Posted by
58 posts

Hello shady72,
This is standard procedure in Italy. Accommodations are indeed required to submit passport details to local authorities.
Hope you're having a great trip!

Posted by
2768 posts

Yes, every time in Italy. I would actually be a little concerned if they didn't ask - legally they have to.

Posted by
16323 posts

Your host is simply complying with the law. Do not be concerned. Passport details do not contain your social security number and cannot be used for identity theft.

Posted by
1391 posts

Several Italian airbnb hosts have just used their cell phones to photograph our passports.

We're surprised when a host doesn't ask for our passports.

Posted by
9 posts

Thank you everyone for the information. I have 4 apartments rented in Italy and this is the only one to ask for passport details.

Posted by
2304 posts

hi shady72
we were asked in amsterdam when we rented a houseboat and venice, after we exited water taxi and he met us at stop, walked us to apartment and asked us there. don't be surprised if they ask when you arrive at the next place you're staying at. i think it's an italian law, in case of emergency, if you're wanted or a missing person. we just make a copy of it and go with the flow. enjoy your travels
aloha

Posted by
885 posts

I dealt with the exact same thing, and thought it unusual but I think Venice is a special case. I think there may be a greater difficulty for the hosts to get that info to the police in Venice. We sent them pictures of our passports and everything was fine.

Posted by
3123 posts

The other apartment hosts will ask to see your passports at check in.