Please sign in to post.

Agriturismo near Siena

We are going to have a few days before our cruise leaving from Civitavecchia. We are flying into Rome but are considering taking a train to Siena and renting a car so we can get acquainted with Tuscany. Can anyone recommend an agriturismo nearby Siena. We’d like to do some driving in the area as well as drive to some other small towns, Cortona, etc. Any suggestions will be appreciated. A little nervous about renting a car and driving in any large cities

Posted by
6600 posts

You can rent a car in Siena so no worries about driving in big cities

You’ll likely have to change in Florence to get to Siena so you also have option of renting in Florence

Check
AutoEurope.com
AutoEurope.eu
Kemwel.com

Do your homework on driving in Italy -ZTLs, speed cameras, parking, etc

All drivers must have an IDP

You will not be driving IN to any Tuscan hill towns-you will be parking outside the walls

Posted by
3881 posts

Way back in 2015, I stayed at Agriturismo Marciano outside Siena. It was great. Some nights, the owners would make a dinner with something like 5 courses with each course being paired with a wine that was produced at the agriturismo. It was easily the best food I had during a 3-week trek through Italy. It looks it was closed for 2023 for renovations, but will hopefully be up and running again in 2014. It was still getting glowing reviews for the 2022 tourist season on the sites I checked.

https://www.agriturismomarciano.it/

Posted by
10361 posts

Dave, Dave, Dave, Agriturismo Marciano is supposed to stay a secret so those of us that have been there can still book rooms. 😉

I agree that it’s the best food I’ve had in the 6 weeks I’ve spent in Italy. I’m actually reluctant to return because I’m afraid it won’t live up to my memories.

Posted by
3881 posts

Sorry, Andrea. I hadn't thought about it for a while until this thread... now I want to go back!