Please sign in to post.

Agriturismo near Siena

Can anyone recommend an agraturismo to visit in May (with a restaurant) near Siena?

Posted by
7373 posts

Another poster asked on October 14 about farms in Tuscany, and I mentioned that earlier this month, we stayed at the “Santa Caterina agriturismo,” which is in the general Monte Martano area. It’s actually in Umbria, and close to Spoleto, and while not exactly right next door to Siena, maybe it’s close enough for you. It is really rural hill country, and needs having a car, with good GPS.

We stayed for a week, and rather than getting to and from the agriturismo in the dark of night, on tiny, twisty rural mountain roads after dinner at a restaurant in the valley, we had dinner there each night. Dinners were €25 per person, 4 courses, including wine. They grew and raised pretty much everything they served.

We were the only ones staying there that week in October, although one night, an extended Italian family came in 3 cars to eat in their restaurant. Appeared that was a family reunion, and they all chose that agriturismo for dinner.

Posted by
1 posts

I am so jealous! We stayed at the Agriturismo Marciano in late April 2017 and have been dreaming of going back ever since! This is a winery and the hosts are absolutely the best, kindest humans! We found that throughout most of Italy! She laid out an entire day's drive for us and it was one of the best days we spent in Italy! I highly recommend staying here if you can. It is up on a hill but only a short drive into Siena. You will love every second! They offer more of a bed and breakfast feel for meals, not a restaurant per se, but the food is outstanding! Enjoy!

https://www.google.com/travel/hotels/s/f2uBW

Posted by
201 posts

Another vote for Agriturismo Marciano. We just got back from a 6 night stay. Like the other post said the hosts are lovely and very helpful. The property is beautiful. Siena is a good location for exploring Tuscany. We went a different direction every day and it was all gorgeous. We had a car for this stay. I think you really need a car to explore Tuscany. That said, they were recommending a taxi to get into Siena from this location because parking can be difficult. You can walk but it takes about 45 minutes. They also have bicycles you can borrow. We did drive and found parking without issues but we were there off season. The breakfasts here were fabulous. The hostess gets up at 5am every morning and bakes fresh pastries. She will also prepare savory dishes and eggs as you desire. The dinners here cost extra but are worth it for the experience of eating at a winery. Be prepared to eat a LOT. By the way...the wine is also delicious. Do a winery tour here....they are fun and informative.

Posted by
11161 posts

We have always found parking in Siena, spring or fall months. Glad you had such a wonderful trip.

Posted by
3857 posts

One more vote for Agriturismo Marciano. I loved my time there. I ate dinner there two nights of my 4-night stay. It was the best food I had in Italy, and each course was paired with one of the organic wines made there.

Posted by
110 posts

Add me to the Ag. Marciano voters! I spent 5 nights there about 5 years ago. We had dinner there 4 nights, and on the 5th night all the guests went out together to a restaurant in Siena and gave the cook a well deserved night off! I made long-term friends with several other guests as well as folks we met at their wine tour/tasting/lunch. I recommended it to my brother and his wife, who went the following year with two of their friends, and they loved it too. The accommodations are simple, but comfortable, and not expensive. The dinners ranged from 35 to 45 euros, depending on the menu. The wine flowed. The meals are served in the kitchen, at a long communal table, usually 4-5 courses, mostly locally sourced and always delicious. Highly recommend.