Please sign in to post.

Advice to Travel by Train or Not to Travel by Train on 1 May 2023

Dear Rick Steves Community, I need your advice.

My friends and I are traveling to Italy on 26th April, arriving on the 27th to Venice. We had originally planned to stay 4 nights, checking out on the 1 May before heading to Florence for 6 nights. With 1 May being International Workers Day, I am rethinking those plans. We will be taking the train and I am not sure it will be easy to get transport.

Do you have experience in traveling by train on 1 May? Are there particular celebrations in Venice that we should stay for that extra day on 1 May?

Appreciate any help.

Sandy

Posted by
877 posts

At worst, the train schedule may be limited on that day. Most everything (shops, banks, museums, etc.) will be closed on that day, so preferable to travel on that day.

Posted by
755 posts

I was on the Amalfi coast on May 1 of this year and transferred to Naples on that same day. Everything was open, trains we’re running, people out and about everywhere.

Posted by
3812 posts

I am not sure it will be easy to get transport.

Why? Giving an advice without knowing your reasons is not easy.

Are you lookin' after discounted tickets? Those will sell out quickly on May 1, check the 2023 schedules in early December and do not wait too much if you see a good fare.

Did you get your eyes on a train that by the current schedules does not run on Sundays and festive days? You'll have to cross your fingers, wait for December and hope the 2023 winter schedules will be different.

If it's because of the crowds, you should have totally avoided the days between April 25 and May 2. Now I guess it's late to pick a week that is not between two national holydays after a pandemic.

Posted by
964 posts

Thank you all for your quick response and helpful replies. I was less worried about the crowds and more about the train schedules.

Appreciate the advice to check in December for availability and good fares.

Sandy

Posted by
15281 posts

Trains run on May 1. But due to the two national holidays on the same week, the end of April is the busiest time of the year, so make sure you have your hotel nights squared away well in advance for that period. Also May 1 2023 is a Monday and many Italians will be traveling back home after the long weekend, so trains will be busy too. If you want a discounted fare, act early.

Posted by
964 posts

Thank you Roberto for the information on hotels. I have already booked them for Venice, so we are in good shape.

Sandy

Posted by
6614 posts

I have always found that national holidays like May 1st are good to use as a traveling day, since so many places are closed.

But the advice to secure your hotel room was good - I was in Italy years ago on May 1st and talked to one couple who neglected to make reservations in Florence and were wandering the streets looking for a room.