Please sign in to post.

Advice on driving SS145 on Amalfi peninsula - NOT the coast road?

A very specific question for you veteran Italian voyagers. Although I swore never-ever, I have family reasons to drive a minivan out the Amalfi peninsula to Nerano. Some family members will be arriving this fall - restrictions permitting - and want to do a lot of things in Abruzzo and Southern Italy that will require a car. We will need a minivan. I drive here in Abruzzo and in northern Italy without hesitation or issues. But I vowed I would never, never, never drive in Rome, Naples or the Amalfi coast road.

I have never yet been to the Amalfi coast. It looks like there is a road from Pompei to Nerano that does not go along the cliffs, SS145. Has anyone been on it, and can you tell me anything about its condition? I would go out and back the same way to avoid the coast road. And I will be the only driver.

Any experiences to share?

Posted by
2047 posts

We have driven the road with no troubles. There is a Youtube video that films the whole drive. If you Google SS145 Italh, it should come up.

Posted by
32701 posts

I have driven the northern part of that road, from Pompei to Sorrento many times. I've also driven the road along the Amalfi Coast. I drove many of the interlinking roads between north and south but I don't remember the exact ones.

2 lane, winding, relatively slow after the by-pass of Castellammare di Stabia, somewhat hilly, slow but nothing to get your knickers in a twist though.

If you are a skilled patient Italian driver you can do the Amalfi Coast in the fall too.

Posted by
1032 posts

Thank you Becky and Nigel, that's very reassuring. Becky, I watched most of the video (until I got motion sick from the double time) and it looks like any normal SS road here in our mountains of Abruzzo, which I drive daily. Thanks for that idea. As far as skilled and patient Italian driver, Nigel, yes I think that fits me. However, "skilled' in Switzerland - not so much. Those darn rock walls around steep narrow hairpins kept attacking me last fall. Not so sure about the coast road, but I may give it a go.

I don't think I'll have any issues with the drive and feel much better now. If the rellies make it over the pond, we'll do it.

Thanks

Posted by
4323 posts

Do you mind if I ask about Nerano, if you have been there before? I'd like to get back to the area one day and explore the hiking tails at the tip of the Peninsula. It sounds like once you get to Nerano, you plan to stay there and just enjoy the immediate vicinity. I've always been curious about that area, as those villages get little mention (Sorrento would be too big for what I'm after). If you care to share a bit about the place, I'd put that info to good use. Good luck driving the van!

Posted by
1032 posts

Valadelphia, I have not been there before. Never been to the Sorrento peninsula/Amalfi Coast at all before! My cousin picked it out of the air as the place he wants to base while there. We've got five nights booked in September. "God willin' and the creek (covid) don't rise", as the old saying goes. We plan to drive from my home in Abruzzo, to Matera for a few nights, then to Nerano. All new to me.

It's fun to be trip planning again at least, but I am not sure of my level of confidence that it will come off. I will be fully vaccinated by then, as they already are, so we are hoping for no more twists in the road (except the Amalfi ones.)

I'm happy to report back after the trip with some details.

Posted by
4323 posts

Thanks Nelly, and good luck. You will love Matera--such a special place. I'll keep my fingers crossed for all of you to get to visit.