Please sign in to post.

Adriatic coast

My family of four (2 teens) will be in Italy in May. We have two nights free that we haven't decided what to do or where we want to visit. We will have just spent a week in Tuscany and then be traveling to Venice, so it's two nights between those two locations. I'm thinking my teens will be tired of hilltowns and maybe interested in seeing the coastline. Are there any places you would highly recommend along the Adriatic coast between Ancona and Venice? I can't seem to find much information in terms of recommendations for this area at all. Thanks for your help!!!

Posted by
240 posts

Cindy,
We drove along the Adriatic coast 2 years ago. Rimmini is a perfect place to stop with your teenagers. It's quite the beach resort. Not far from there and on the way to Venice we stopped in Ravenna. A beautiful town with stunning mosaic churches and great shops. In Rimmini each hotel has their own private beach area. Reserve now..as it gets quite busy. Enjoy your trip!

Posted by
51 posts

I don't think you have to worry about reserving hotels in May,in that part of Italy.It's an endless beach area,as far as the eye can see and at that time of the year is off season,deserted beaches and mostly boring scenery.Most of the hotels aren't even open.Ravena is the best bet if you still want to be close to the coast.I would recommend Verona and the Lake Garda area.Not far from Venice by train,but is breathtaking and still not to crowdy in May.Check it out at:www.lagodigarda.it.Good luck and have fun.

Posted by
1449 posts

I liked the smaller town of Pesaro, a little north of Ancona. Had one of the best meals of my life at a beach-facing restaurant there, a pasta dish with squid ink in it. Pesaro has a nice pedestrian-only zone, lots of beach-facing hotels. Not sure if they're open in May, but ones a little inland are likely to be. Also if you're a fan of opera then Pesaro is the birthplace of Rossini. We had a nice time driving in the area; you could leave the kids at the beach if its nice and drive around. Lots of nice towns along the roads and a few miles inland. Bring a map with you to figure out some routes. I still remember we went around a turn and in front of us was a small hilltown with an old castle, some catapults in the yard, etc. What a surprise! If you're stopping at smaller towns along the Adriatic (including Pesaro) then you'll need to know a little bit of Italian because this isn't the American touristy part of Italy, and a lot of people don't speak English. Your kids might like Rimini more, though; it is one of the party towns for Italians, although May is early and nothing may be going on.