Please sign in to post.

Accomodations in Rome

I just booked my airfare to Italy this week for May, 2009. I am really stressing out because I am having trouble finding a hotel/B&B available for my four night stay in Rome. My budget is $125 per night (less would be even better!). As an alternative to hotels/B&B's, should I consider an apartment for my four nights in Rome? If so, does anyone have any recommendations?

Posted by
261 posts

I used VRBO.com to rent an apartment in Rome for 4 nights last summer. It was easy and the apartment was great for doing laundry and making our own breakfast. You can also check out cross-pollinate.com. I found that for 4 of us, the apartment was cheaper than a quad room.

Posted by
121 posts

No need to rent an apartment - We stayed in a convent called Casa il Rosario - I believe it is recommended in one of RS books. The breakfast there was great, room was clean and spacious with en suite bathroom/shower. Rate was amazing about 120 usd for a famly of three. It was walking distance to Trajan Market, Colloseum, Forum, etc. No ac but we were there during mid-June and found it very cool with the tile floor, fan, and windows. They even have a computer room with internet access and printer so I was able to print tickets. The Dominican Sisters were very accomodaing though most speak Italian and French it was no problem to communicate in broken Italian/English. In terms of distance you can walk to other things like Via Del Corso area, Spanish Steps, fountains, etc., but major streets and not really set for walking. We did it one day but after took other transportation. There is an 11:30pm curfew but by then we were exausted anyway. If you want more details let me know but we would definitely return. Your best rates/food/cleanliness will likely come from a convent. Have a great trip! michelle

Posted by
51 posts

I checked with them last week, and they are sold out for the timeframe I will be there.

Posted by
7209 posts

Navona First B&B is good, central, clean, AC and affordable. Welcome to the world of expensive Rome hotels :-)

Also try http://www.hoteltrastevere.net located into trastevere which is just across the river. Not a bad location and some pretty affordable prices.

I've also been using www.kayak.com to scan for hotels and airfare. Good luck to you.

Posted by
22 posts

Lisa-
We are going to Rome next month and we booked our B&B through www.cross-polinate.com. It was reccommended from this site. Our B&B is 10 minutes from the colosseum--for $30 per person, per night. The B&B got great reviews from trip advisor.

Good luck!
Katie

Posted by
106 posts

Hi Lisa,
We have booked the Hotel Aberdeen based on recommendations in Rick's Rome 2009 book and those of others on this board. The hotel staff has been very responsive to our email inquiries and even agreed to match an unbelievable price we had obtained on Travelocity as well as to upgrade us to a Superior room for the same price. We are going in early October, which is considered high season and will be paying 80,00 per night, which is just over $103 at the current rate. This includes breakfast and all taxes and the hotel is supposedly located fairly close to the Spanish steps. Not sure if you have checked them out yet but I would email them and see what they can do for you. Here is their contact info : info@hotelaberdeen.it
Good luck!

Posted by
51 posts

Very interesting about the Aberdeen matching your price. I did, in fact, book with them today at 90 Euro per night. I will definitely see if their prices are soft!

Posted by
7209 posts

I'm not surprised at the price matching. Prague hotels are acting rather desperately now also. Several Prague high end hotels have discounted their posted prices significantly and have matched competitor's prices as well as offering free upgrades.

I guess it may be getting more and more common all over Europe for the 2009 travel year.

Posted by
2207 posts

Ciao Lisa,

Lots of great suggestions on places to stay. In May your price range will prevent you from staying centrally downtown, although the Termini, Prati, Borgo, or Flaminio area may be attainable.

Here's a map I started a couple of years ago and then just kept addding to. It has many hotels and restaurants I've either stayed at or have been recommended to me. You can perhaps find a location you like, then Google for their website, or check them out on the larger booking sites like www.venere.com .

This is a "blended" Google map (actually about 4 maps merged together as it just got SO big!) so you have to load it differently.

To load up the map:

1 - Go to http://maps.google.com

2 - Paste in the BOX next to SEARCH MAPS the link below

3 - And click on Search Maps!

(Make sure to PASTE the entire link in the search box) NOTE – If you try and just click on the link below, the map will not load as it is a “blended” Google Map.”

http://maps.google.com/maps/ms?ie=UTF8&hl=en&msa=0&msid=100278042670956013727.00043dac2da21cf458712&om=1&output=nl

I also have a taxi stand/bus route I've been working on... If you need that send me a line!

Good luck!
Ciao,
Ron in Rome

Posted by
40 posts

We stayed in Rome for 2 nights last september,arriving at the main train station.We stayed at a place called A Casa Di Maryelen through Venere.com and it was wonderful,clean,and the lady who runs it(Loredana) was funny and really helpful.It does have an elevator.Bonus-it's within walking distance from the train station,it took less than 10 minutes.The only thing I would say is that the dining room is tiny and we had to wait to get it,but as the breakfasts in Italy are not al that great anyway,if I went again I'd skip the breakfast there,and go find a Bar for a coffee and pastry.

Posted by
15 posts

Research the hotels on the various booking sites and then contact the hotels directly to inquire about accommodation. They often have rooms available that are not advertised through the booking sites (and at better rates).

Posted by
1003 posts

On our last visit to Rome in July 2006 we stayed at Hotel Smeraldo, which was in Rick's Rome book. This had a great location just a few minutes walk from Campo di Fiori. It was very HOT when we were there and this place had really great air conditioning--the best we have ever experienced in Europe. It felt so good to come back from sightseeing and be able to relax in a chilled room. The rooms are quite small but very nice with lots of marble. We had 2 double rooms for our family of 4. Would definitely stay here again. In 2002 we stayed at Hotel Italia in Rick's book. This place was nice and very comfortable too. Our room had a/c and ceiling fans. We just prefer the location of the Smeraldo.