Please sign in to post.

accomodations in Rome

Does anyone have any experiences with these inexpensive-moderate hotels/pensions in Rome(I am ideally looking for a family suite if possible but know this may not be possible):
Casa Kolbe?
Smeraldo?
Coronet?
Navona?
Perugia?
Residence Zanardelli?
Pomezia?
or other suggestions....

Posted by
239 posts

My husband and I stayed at Smeraldo and liked it very much. As Rick Steves suggests, we skipped the breakfast option and bought pastries and cappucino at the bakery across the street each morning. We love the area--we have also stayed near santa maria maggiore and we much prefer the campo dei fiori area. More locals, warmer atmosphere, great restaurants, very close to so many sites. The hotel was not fabulous but very good and had a romantic atmosphere we really liked. Also, we really like farmers markets, so we enjoyed being so close to the campo for that reason, too. I have no idea if they have family suites--I doubt it since it is an older and typical European-style hotel. The rooms have been redecorated but they are small by US standards. However I would definitely recommend the hotel.

Posted by
7209 posts

Try an apartment instead of a hotel. We rented this apartment:

http://www.primitaly.it/appartamenti/casaparadiso/uk.htm

It cost MUCH less than a hotel and was MUCH nicer. It actually sleeps 5 or 6, it's a big place right in the center of the historical district close in Campo dei Fiori. The above link is directly to the owners. However, when we rented we went through www.sleepinitaly.com. They did a good job for us, but I see no reason to use a third-party if you can rent directly from the owner. Good Luck.

Posted by
239 posts

While I loved Smeraldo I would second the idea about an apartment. It will definitely be cheaper than booking two rooms, and think of all the money you will save eating in. Plus shopping for food in the local markets is so much fun. We have not rented an apartment in Rome but have rented elsewhere in Europe and much prefer it to hotels. With a large group it does sound like the most sensible and enjoyable thing to do.

Posted by
18 posts

You might at least consider the Hotel Ottocento in Rome. Reasonable (2 years ago), lovely, clean, and a great breakfast. Walking distance from the Spanish Steps and the Trevi Fountain. We loved it!

Posted by
192 posts

We stayed at the Hotel Lancelot, which is about a 5-minute walk from the Colosseum, in April '06, and loved it. They have breakfast and dinner, an elevator (!), VERY nice staff, owned by the same family for ages. I think they are mentioned in the RS Italy book. Our daughter paid for the room so I don't know the cost. We were there for 4 days.

Posted by
689 posts

We stayed at Hotel Navona and loved it. It is sort of hidden just off Piazza Navona. Cash only payment.

Posted by
160 posts

Anita,

We stayed at a hotel called Max. It is located right near Termini Train Station. We have also stayed at Hotel Contilla. Both were moderately priced, clean and the staff was very nice. Breakfast was included.

Posted by
28 posts

You might want to consider renting an apartment. When traveling with a family it usually ends up less expensive to rent. I used this website www.bbplanet.it. They have listing for hotels, B&B's, and apartments all over Italy. Hope you have a great time.