Please sign in to post.

Accommodation in Venice

Can anyone recommend accommodation for a night in Venice. We will be coming by train from Lake Garda staying the night and then taking a ferry to Rovinj at about 5pm. Plan to leave our bags at the accommodation while we check out Venice. Want accommodation that isn't too expensive but convenient for catching ferry and coming in to Venice by train. Prefer not to share bathroom. We've never been to Venice so it does sound a bit daunting with canals to navigate. Thanks.

Posted by
1337 posts

Congratulations! Venice is my favorite Italian city.

Sounds like you would like a hotel near the train station. Of course you might prefer one near the ferry port, but as I don't know where that is I can't help you :-(

Navigating Venice is easy enough. It's small enough to walk everywhere and there are signs that will help you. If you don't feel like walking check https://europeforvisitors.com/venice/articles/venice_transportation.htm for more information on transport.

One more advice stay away from the line between Piazzale Roma and Piazza San Marco between the hours of 10.00 and 17:00 (5 pm) - there will be crowds.

Posted by
2475 posts

The ferry port is down at the southwest corner of Dorsoduro. My map shows that the closest hotel is Hotel Tiziano, which gets excellent reviews.

Posted by
7532 posts

Jeanette, the canals are the whole point, aren't they? :-) Time of year makes a difference, but Venice is very difficult to book all year round. Do not hesitate once you find a hotel you like. It's too bad your visit is so short. Once you learn the Vaporetto (water bus) concept, it's as easy as any other city, except for pedestrian-clogged streets on shore. It's like Fifth Avenue NYC during Christmas week, but every single day.

Posted by
847 posts

Last summer we did just what you are doing, although we've been to Venice many times so know our way around. For arrival by train and departure via the Rovinj ferry your best area to look in is Santa Croce. Check booking.com for accommodations in that area.

Posted by
30 posts

Rick Steves recommends Hotel al Ponte Mocenigo. Only a few stops from train station. We just booked it for 3 nights next September.