Please sign in to post.

Abruzzo

Traveling to Italy in June with elderly father, revisiting WWII locales. Likely stops include Casoli and environs in the Abruzzo. Need suggestions for getting to that region, (flying from midwest U.S.), and for lodging in Casoli area as well as somewhere on the Adriatic, perhaps Francavilla. Also car rental information would be helpful. Is Pescara my best bet for arrival airport?

Posted by
689 posts

We travel frequently to Abruzzo. We still have family in Fallo.

We always fly into Rome and rent a car. We drive into the mountains from there. Pescara is a large city so you could find whatever you need there. I've never looked at flying into Pescara though.

Most of the villages (not all) have some sort of hotel. Even Fallo has reopened theirs!

Be sure and visit many of the villages. They all have their own personalities.

I will warn you not to go in August. The beaches on the Adriatic are FULL of Italians on holiday. We literally drove 5 miles along a beach just looking for a parking spot!!!!

Posted by
10344 posts

Pam: Here's links to prior discussions of this subject, including Sally's 2007 helpful post (first one):http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm?topic=2520http://www.ricksteves.com/graffiti/helpline/index.cfm?topic=11613Here's a comment from another section of Rick's site: We spent a couple of weeks in the heart of Abruzzo last summer and made many discoveries. It is such a pristine area void of tourists, and I would love to see it stay that way...yet, I want people to experience its beautiful mountains, wonderful villages, and probably the best food of all Italy. In fact, I'm taking a small group of people there in June to experience Caramanico Terme, the lovely thermal town...for our spa/yoga retreat. We'll also visit some of the nearby mountain areas for hiking.

Posted by
109 posts

Although I am not familiar with the Casoli area of Abruzzo, i have visited many of the towns on the Lazio side.(my parents have a home in Fontechiari)Sulmona is beautiful and interesting--almond candy capital, and they have a medieval jousting event yearly in July that i plan to attend some day. But if you are interested in WWII locales, a visit to Monte Cassino will be most important. I have been there several times as I always bring visiting friends. It is a very emotional place, for my family as my parents lived in Italy during the war and they often speak of seeing the red sky and smoke from the Allied bombings of Monte Cassino. You should look into it.