Please sign in to post.

Cruise Excursions

Hello! Just curious if anyone has any experience with "Cruising Excursions" company. Their tours are much less expensive but some of the comments fon Trip Advisor look rather suspect. I believe they are similar to Viator and are really just a broker for the excurisons. Just looking for a reliable alternative to the ships very expensive offerings. Mediterranean Cruise - Mid April
Thanks!

Posted by
471 posts

Nancy, I have not heard of the company you mentioned. However, I strongly suggest you go to the cruise critic website, go to the message boards for Italian ports and the Roll Call forum for your cruise, and ask for recommendations for guides and drivers in the ports where you would like to arrange a private excursion. What you want to do is commonly done. On the Roll Call forum for your cruise, you will see, if the cruise is in the next few months, efforts by your fellow travelers to set up different excursions. Also, the Rick Steves Italy book has any number of driver and guide recommendations in different ports. And each port will surely have a number of cabs waiting at the dock where the cost of the taxi for the day can be negotiated.
Finally, what exactly do you have in mind with regard to excursions? What ports? Before we can recommend drivers or excursions, you need to give us that information. But Cruise Critic has a great deal of information on this subject.

Posted by
23419 posts

We have been on six European cruises and rarely take the ship excursions. I have not read the Steves on ports that could be a good starting point. If you are going to do you own tours it requires a lot of homework. If you are interested I would be glad to give you our details for planning but if not it will some typing on my part.

Posted by
68 posts

Thank you so much for your feedback! I do have Ricks Mediterranean Cruise book and it is really helpful. Many of the excursions or tours he mentions seem to be the private tour people. It's always nice to hear other peoples ideas and experiences!
Thanks again!