Please sign in to post.

Which trip option?

Which seems most realistic/enjoyable/do-able for the beginning of November? Option #1 Luzerne - 2 nights (1st day, flying into Zurich, taking train to Luzerne) Lausanne - 1 night Locarno - 1 Venice - 2 Florence - 2 Milan - 1 (flying out of Milan) Option #2 Luzerne - 2 Zermatt/Domodossola - 1 Venice -2 Florence-3 (day trips to Siena & Rome) Milan -1 Option #3 Luzerne - 2 Zermatt/Domo -1 Venice -2 Florence -2
Cinque de Terre -2

Posted by
15269 posts

None of the above. For that time of the year I would skip Locarno, cinque terre, and Val d'ossola. Weather in November calls for cities only. U need at least 1 day and 1 night in Venice, and at least 2 full busy days for Florence and 2full busy days for Rome. And I'm talking Mussolini tour pace (no rest allowed or castor oil Drinks as punishment)
Number 2 is the closest to what I would do. However you won't have time for Rome Florence and Siena in only 3 days. Leave Rome to next time you go to Italy.

Posted by
32929 posts

Tend to agree with PP. What is there about Domodossola which would cause you to want to spend an hour there let alone an over-night?

Posted by
72 posts

Also posted in "To the West" Thank you all so much for the information. Definitely am revising. How does this look (and a little background as to my thinking)?: Luzerne - 2 (flying into Zurich, train to Luzerne on AM of Day 1) Lausanne - 1 (interested in the Golden Pass Train, gets into Montreux at 4:15 in the afternoon, need to stay somewhere, could see the Chateau the next morning) Venice - 3 (first night we would arrive late, having travelled from Montreux) Florence-3 (see Florence & day trip to Siena)
AM of last day - fast train from Florence to Milan for 1:00pm flight out of Milan

Posted by
15269 posts

Much better. Venice requires a full busy day from dawn to evening. The second day you have time for Murano and Burano during the day. They are more relaxing than Venice too. Lunch in Murano is always a must for me and my wife, after the glass factory tours (and shopping). Burano is further away up the lagoon, but very worth it for a lower pace day and for the beautiful vivid and bright colors of the house facades, which will certainly knock your eyes off your cranium. That's what Venice used to be before tourism was invented. Then, the next morning get an early start so that you get to Florence early in the morn. The train ride is just over 2 hours. You could also cut a night off Venice and travel to Florence in the evening. However if you do Murano and Burano you may not feel like rushing back to the station to make the train to Florence. Last fast train to Florence from Venice departs at 7:32 pm.
It's up to you. Maybe you want to do Murano and Burano on the first day in venice and then Venice itself on the second day. What you have is good though.