Please sign in to post.

Train Help - PLEASE

I just purchased 4 train tickets on the Trenitalia website from Rome to Florence. I am now looking at the 2011 RS Italy book and it says "you cannot buy tickets online on the italian website because it does not accept US credit cards." I am confused, I thought I did make the purchase. Also, is the one page ticket details that lists all 4 passengers that has a bar code all I need? Do I get this validated?? Help!!

Posted by
15 posts

Thank you all!! I am feeling a lot better now. I have my PRN with barcodes printed out to bring on the train. Does anyone know if changing a seat is considered a change to the ticket? I got the mini fair and I know they only allow one change. Thanks

Posted by
950 posts

I bought a ticket on the website last year with a credit card and no problems. Yes the one page is all you need - when you get to the station you will see a line of kiosks - you enter the PIN number or scan the bar code and you should then get your validated tickets. In my case, in Naples, the code was not accepted so I went to the nearby ticket office and they took care of it quickly. You do need to get to the station about half-an-hour before the departure time in case you have to go through the same thing. The trains really do run on time!

Posted by
3251 posts

That statement in the 2011 guidebook is no longer true. Lots of people have been buying tickets on Trenitalia this year.

Posted by
492 posts

US credit cards have worked fairly well for the last year or so. The 2011 guide book probably was printed in the late spring/early summer of 2010, at the time this was pretty much correct. As long as your seats are reserved, then you don't need to validate and the PRN is all you need to give to the conductor.

Posted by
2207 posts

Nadine, in November 2010, Trenitalia updated their "secure credit card system" and since then, credit cards have been more readily accepted. High speed train tickets are available approx. 120 days out, unless it's near June or December when the bi-annual schedule and fare changes are made. One of the biggest advantages of the "more-friendly" credit card system is the ability to purchase the MINI promotion tickets. You can only buy Regionale tickets online 7 days in advance. Since there are no assigned seats on a Regionale train, they never sell out nor are they ever discounted. Thus, there is no reason to buy Regionale tickets online as you will lose tremendous "ticket flexibility." Non-Regionale tickets purchased at a station or through an agent are good for two months! Those bought online are for ONE specific train. Just don't forget to validate your Regionale ticket before getting on these trains. Once on the high speed trains, as mentioned, the PNR code is all you need. You might look at this article about "Going "Ticketless" and Using PNR Codes on Trenitalia." Good Luck!

Posted by
3251 posts

So does Allison get on the train with the piece of paper she has, with PNR and bar code, or does whe need to visit a machine at the station to pick up something else?

Posted by
100 posts

The piece of paper with the PNR and the barcode are all that she needs. I just got back from Italy and that is all I needed. I had purchased all my Trenitalia tickets ahead of time with my creedit card before leaving the US. The advantage was being able to save money with the Mini fares. And if you use a credit cardnthat doesn't charge foreign transaction fees, you'll save even more.