Please sign in to post.

ITALY IN SEPTEMBER

HOW DOES THIS SOUND??? OUR ITERNARY IS ARRIVING IN VENICE AND SPENDING TWO NIGHTS, TRAIN TO CT TWO NIGHT STAY, TRAIN TO FLORENCE STAY TWO NIGHTS, RENT A CAR AND DRIVE TO SIENNA TWO NIGHTSTAY, ASSISI ONE NIGHT, UMBRIA ONE NIGHT, DRIVE TO ROME AND DROP OFF CAR, ROME FOUR NIGHTS. ALSO NEED INPUT FOR HOTEL IN FLOERNCE WE PREFER THE SAMLLER FAMILY TYPE ESTABISHMENTS

Posted by
525 posts

I just barely read your itinerary and cringed. The train schedule does NOT work very well from Venice to CT. Do your itinerary Venice, Florence, CT then rent your car in LaSpezia or train to Siena. Assisi is large so don't know if one night would work for you. Leave your car in Orvieto or outside of Rome and take train back to Rome.
My husband and I were going to do Venice, CT, Florence but THEN I looked at the train schedule. Too many changes and it takes all day. Look at train schedules BEFORE you book your B&B's and plan your itinerary. We stayed at Soggiorno Battistero in Florence, right across the street from the Baptistery. Think about changing your itinerary to Florence before CT from Venice.

Posted by
2 posts

Personal preference, but I would stay another night in Assisi; absolutely loved Assisi. I've never rented a car; just used railpasses.

Posted by
486 posts

First, please don't shout (posting in capitals is considered shouting).

Unless you have a big group, skip the car and take the bus (to Siena) and train to Rome. Secondly, unless you want to spend much of your trip packing, unpacking, finding parking or dragging luggage, skip some of those stops as overnight and do them as day trips. It is far more relaxing.

Posted by
7737 posts

You say you'll be in Assisi one night and Umbria one night. Are you aware that Umbria is a region, not a town, and that Assisi is in Umbria? So if you're going to do Assisi, do two nights there.

And I agree that Venice to CT is a bit of a haul, since they're on opposite sides of the boot up where it's wider.