Please sign in to post.

To Tip or Not To Tip

Tipping at a restaurant in Italy. Do you do it or not? If you do, do you do it because it's expected of you as a North American and you're worried about what they will think of you? Do you not do it because that's what the Italians do? In the following article, a kazillionaire was taken to task for not tipping in Rome. Was he right or wrong? Do you agree with what some of the "experts" say? http://usat.ly/LGIwOB

Posted by
9101 posts

If only to prevent restaurant staff from spitting in their food, Zillionaires should always tip no matter where they eat. If they can afford to pay big bucks to publicists and public relations agencies to make themselves out to be saints in the media, they can also afford to spread a little of that goodwill to servers while on vacation. Ironically it will not be up to his publicist to deal with this public relations faux pas;)

Posted by
10256 posts

When in Rome... Behave like a Roman. They don't tip, so why should I or anyone else? Just because some North Americans don't understand the Italian culture doesn't mean that I should follow suit. If they charge me a coperto or service charge the most extra they get out of me is rounding up to the next euro. The kaziillionaire has no more obligation to tip than the locals do.

Posted by
209 posts

Don't tip. You pay a premium for not being European as is. When in Rome. . .

Posted by
1046 posts

I don't disagree with anyone here - in general you don't tip unless you just leave some change on the table. BUT! If I like the restaurant, the food, the service and intend to return (this trip or next) I show my best manners with the server and the owner and let them know that I'll be back. A handshake with the server and a couple of euro sometimes gets a very surprised smile. And then I do come back. The server gets him/herself assigned to me, the owner seems to take more personal notice and the table is just a little better positioned. You know what - especially with the owners, it works from year to year! It's really wonderful to be greeted with "I'm so glad you came back!" hmmm, I don't remember everyone having a glass of grappa with the owner.

Posted by
8711 posts

@Robert I used politeness and civility but didn't slip anyone any cash at any time. WE are now on a first name basis. Nearly family. Humans anywhere in the world appreciate a kind word and acknowledgement of a job well.

Posted by
381 posts

You need to look at the check and see if there is a 'centro' or service charge included. If there is a service charge I do what RS recommends and round up a bit depending on the service. If there is not a service charge I will tip from 15 to 20 per cent depending on the service.