Please sign in to post.

Bologna

I am thinking about stopping off in Bologna on my way to Venice. Any advice as to where to stay and what to see. Is Bologna worth a day and a half stop off. I heard the food is great.

Posted by
143 posts

Bologna is terrific and well worth it - I had a wonderful visit there in October. Terrific churches: San Petronio on Piazza Maggiore, San Luca in the hills south of town, plus others throughout the city; the university area with a couple of good museums, the food markets east of Piazza Maggiore, and Due Torre (the Two Towers). With the arcades and medieval, it is just a delightful city to stroll, shop, and browse. Youthful feel to the city (thanks to the university) and good nightlife.

It is pretty untouristy and feels undiscovered. Great food, I liked Diana, Teresina, Graselli, and Tamburini (food market/deli in the market area with prepared food to go), best gelato I had in Italy at Gelateria Commercianti on Via Maggiore - fig and pumpkin were my favorites.

I stayed at the Hotel Roma just south of Piazza Maggiore. Comfortable with a kitschy/dowdy feel to it (pink rose wallpaper in my room) but friendly staff, good breakfast and a can't-be-beat location - about 100E for a single.