Please sign in to post.

sharing meals

Hi. I know this will be tacky but I don't eat alot. How can I order my 3 courses with an extra plate? Grazie

Posted by
653 posts

An extra plate? For whom? It's not mandatory that you order three courses, you can order one or two courses, or a half-portion of pasta ("mezzo porzione") which is really more like 2/3. Still curious about that extra plate.

Posted by
28 posts

Well, we order a meal here and an extra plate. Some places charge a split-meal fee.

Posted by
653 posts

Oh, I get it. I couldn't tell from your original post if you would be eating alone or with someone. I've seen people ask for an extra plate but it might be easier to let the waiter know you want to share the course and he/she will divide the portion for you. The phrase "meta e meta" (accent on the "a"s) as you motion to the two of you should work.

Posted by
4535 posts

If you order mussells, they will bring you an extra plate to put the shells on... Just kidding... Sharing is fine unless it's a very fine restaurant. You certainly don't have to order three courses at meals. I strongly suggest you order your own gelato :-)

Posted by
7737 posts

You can also say "Uno per due" to mean that it's one dish for two people. ("due" is pronounced "DOO-weh").

Posted by
7209 posts

Can't you just order 2 courses and your partner order 1 course? 2 + 1 = 3. That way you have your 3 courses and each of you has a plate and you didn't even have to mention about sharing which might possibly incur an extra charge or possibly even worse...a waiter's indignation ;-)

Posted by
23314 posts

In our observation it is not done as frequently in Europe. First, European portions are so much smaller than American portions so the need is reduced. And the European menu is more al a carte so it is easier to order a variety of dishes and discretely share than in the US. We do it but are more discrete that we would be in the US.

Posted by
28 posts

thanks, folks. do all the courses come at one time - I thought not. anyway, what an adventure.

Posted by
23314 posts

No, just like in the US first course comes first, second course second, etc., if ordered that way. BUT it also depends on the style of restaurant. The most casual, quick food places will come together or slightly separated and the more upscale will be more formal. One clue is to look around and see what is happening at the other tables.

Posted by
4535 posts

The courses do not come at once. In fact, if one person orders an anti-pasta as their "meal" and the other orders the main plate, the two will come at different times. Sometimes you can convince your waiter to bring them at once, but in my observations, not often. I've seen many a couple watch each other eat separately. As someone mentioned, Italian portions are FAR less than those served in US restaurants.

Posted by
3123 posts

I am "low carb" and do not eat the pasta course. Sso my husband and I order 2 antipasti to share, and then he orders a pasta dish and I order a "secondi" of fish or meat, and a side of vegetables (cortorni). We ask the waiter to bring the pasta and the fish dish together, and there's never been a problem. I share the fish dish with hubby, after he finisheds his pasta I pass him my plate. That way we share but don't have to ask for an extra plate.