Please sign in to post.

Staying in Naples

We are going from Rome to Pompeii and want to spend the night in or around Naples. Does anyone have any suggestions as to where to stay in Naples, that would be convenient, to and from the train station.

Posted by
223 posts

Have you thought of maybe Salerno if you need to be somewhere with a good train connection? I prefer it to Naples and have never, ever felt unsafe near the train station (which is also right accross from the port where you can take a boat to Amalfi, Capri, etc.) There is a long promenade along the coast which can make for a really nice stroll - lots of activty on summer evenings and more of a "beachy" feel. You could also get the bus and in about ten minutes stay in Vietri sul Mare and have a great view of the sea (and it is very reasonable price-wise compared to the rest of the Amalfi coast)The area near Naples train station is really not a great one - and not charming at all. I would only stay in Naples if you REALLY want to spend time exploring Naples and going to the museum, etc. - You can take a direct bus from the train station in Salerno to Pompeii...or...as was already said, a train from Sorrento would be the other great option.

Posted by
46 posts

Thanks for the suggestions. In Naples how far is the stroll from the Train station area to the Centro? Some say it's seedy some say its a real "Italy experience". Any Comments?

Posted by
507 posts

It's not far. It's definitely an "Italy experience," but not one I'd want again. Once in a lifetime is enough. Really, consider staying elsewhere as suggested above.

Posted by
7737 posts

The area around the main train station in Naples is very "iffy." We were there in 2003 and had to step over and around all sorts of homeless people (I guess) and a lot of what appear to be unemployed men who unfortunately have nothing better to do. I recall it being a good little hike from the train station down through the historic center to the waterfront where you can catch a boat to Sorrento, Capri, etc.

I recommend seeing Naples as a day trip. Sleep elsewhere, such as Sorrento or Salerno.

We stayed in Hotel Ginevra and I can't recommend it, although the room was fine and the rates can't be beat. But you need to ask yourself just why is it so inexpensive to stay in Naples? Answer - supply and demand. Most tourists don't want to stay there, and for good reason.

On the other hand, we took the Circumvesuviana train between Naples and Sorrento several times and never felt unsafe on it. You catch it from inside the Naples central train station, in a different section of the station.

(Disclaimer: I know some people love Naples, and that's great. But that does not appear to be true of most people who have been there, doubly true of spending the night there.)

Posted by
223 posts

Ditto.
I LOVE Southern Italy - so much so that we bought a vacation home in Campania...but...I do not love Naples (now, I know, I know some will disagree).
Naples IS interesting...lots to see there!the museum is EXCELLENT...but...so many more places in the beautiful area to stay!! (which is why I actually mentioned Salerno - I avoided it for YEARS thinking it would be a smaller Naples...but I really was pleasantly surprised and find it charming in it's own way!)I think you will be able to find decent priced places to stay all over Campania if you are not pushed to have an ocean view - which you don't need anyway since there are great views from everywhere you will stroll :-) There are cheaper places on the coast too...just that Sorrento and Salerno are the only ones that you can reach by train rather than bus.It's worth the extra time on the traian or bus (in my opinion only!)to stay somewhere mush more charming-unless,like I said, you are planning a whole day sightseeing in Naples