Please sign in to post.

Debit Card

I live in Portland, Oregon and have a Key Bank debit card. The only network logo shown on the back of the card is for "Star".
Does anyone know if this is accepted at ATM machines in Italy? Thanks

Posted by
9101 posts

Don't sweat it, your card will work in 90% of the ATMs you encounter. If it gets rejected for whatever reason, go to the bank across the street and you will be back in business. Be sure to tell your bank of your travel plans so your card doesn't get blocked.

Posted by
23310 posts

I thought that STAR was only accepted in North America and Canada. Was not aware of the STAR network being available in Europe. The most widely accepted networks are Plus and Cirrus. I would not depend on a card with the STAR network.

Posted by
49 posts

I was just reading about this today; STAR is a North American thing; you need PLUS or CIRRUS.

Posted by
2876 posts

According to the STAR website, their ATM's are available only in the US, Canada, and the UK.

Posted by
9101 posts

Key Bank is a major player, I'm doubt they would issue cards that could only be used in US ATMs. By any chance is there a Mastercard or Visa logo on the front of your card? A mastercard logo on the front means you can use your card at any Cirrus affiliated machines...mastercard owns Cirrus. I have the Star symbol on the back of my Chase Debit card and haven't had a problem using it in Europe or Asia.

Posted by
6898 posts

I've always thought that STAR was an interbank system in the U.S. and not in Europe. My new Schwab debit card has a Plus symbol on the back which Visa's symbol. The Cirrus symbol belongs to Mastercard for debit cards using their system. However, my new BofA debit card is a debit and Visa card and it has no Plus or Star symbols on the back. Only the BofA logo. We did use this card in France last fall and it worked fine. Still I'd be cautious with just the Star symbol. I'd check this out with your bank.

Posted by
9 posts

Thanks everyone! I suppose I need to make a few calls. If it doesn't work I suppose I need to get a PIN for my Credit Card. Also I guess I better get some Euros before I leave just as a back up. Any other ideas?

Posted by
32219 posts

Sue, Is there any possibility you could obtain another debit card with a different Bank? I would highly recommend taking at least two cards, in case of any problems with the primary card (I've had that happen). Note that your travel funds must usually be in a chequing account with a four-number PIN. I always like to have some Euro's for "travel funds" to cover meals, Taxi fare or whatever until I get settled in the Hotel and can visit an ATM. I usually have money left over from previous trips, so typicallly have at least €100 on hand. As the others have mentioned, be sure to notify your Bank prior to travel so they don't freeze your cards! Happy travels!

Posted by
5547 posts

Sue, Check with your bank. I have one account where the regular ATM card (no Visa or Mastercard logo) does not work overseas. However, I was able to get a Visa-branded debit card from them that does work overseas. You can always open an account with another bank. I opened an account with a bank that had low fees and only use that account for travel.

Posted by
23310 posts

Using your credit card for cash advances will be a very expensive way to obtain local currency. So work on getting two debit cards that work. I do agree with Michael that a major bank like Key should be tied into other networks than just STAR. Probably should double check with Key.

Posted by
7737 posts

Do NOT use your credit card to get cash advances while in Italy. It will cost you a FORTUNE.

Posted by
9 posts

I went to my local Key Bank and talked to one of the account reps. She made a call and determined that the debit card should be accepted at ATMS that accept either the CIRRUS or STAR network or the Master Card brand. She also said that if an ATM asks for a 6 digit code to add 2 zeros to the end. So if your number was 1234 it would be 123400. She didn't think I would have a problem and told me she's never had any complaints. She seemed very thorough so I feel a lot better now. I also let her know of my travel dates so she could flag the account.

Posted by
23310 posts

Don't worry about six digits. I have never encountered a request for six digits. Cirrus is Mastercard and I have never see an ATM that would take only Cirrus or only PLUS. Have always seen them together. So you should be fine.