Please sign in to post.

to book or not to book

My husband and I will be doing a short (12 day) trip to Italy in June (currently thinking of visiting Rome, Florence and Venice). We'll be traveling light and would like to be able to be spontaneous. However I don't want to be wasting valuable time looking for accommodations. What's advisable, booking hotels before we leave (and thus having a committed itinerary) or playing it as we go?

Thanks,

Kay

Posted by
4555 posts

With only 12 days to see three cities, I'd book ahead. You don't have a lot of time to be "spontaneous," and June starts to get busy. Maybe rent a car and be spontaneous as to where you stop while travelling from one city to another...get off the beaten track, as it were. But otherwise, you'll be wasting valuable time when you can't really afford it.

Posted by
1127 posts

Three cities in 12 days during high season is not the time to be spontaneous. Book in advance. You will certainly be able to find a room at the last minute but it may not be the price, location, or standard you want. If you plan on hitting the big 3 avoid renting a car and stick to trains. There are plenty of day trips available via train or bus.

Posted by
101 posts

We are traveling in June and we already have our accommodations in Florence and for our stay in the Tuscan couuntryside. Plus the less expensive places might be all booked up if you wait.

Posted by
223 posts

June...in big cities...yup...I too would beek before I go - I rarely book hotels WAY in advance...but a few weeks will give you peace of mind. (and remember, SOME hotels will let you cancel up to the day of arrival - check out the policies and maybe you can still have the best of both worlds should your plans change)

Posted by
359 posts

I'd book ahead. I thought I'd be safe in late November, and I was amazed at how many places in Rome and Venice were booked up! Don't forget, most hotels will also give you a discount if you pay in cash. We had to make a couple of extra ATM trips (usually done on the way back to the hotel) for the money, but the savings were worth it. Plus, by not charging - the accommodations are now paid for.

Posted by
1633 posts

Kay, If you want to stay in those cities as opposed to the outskirts, then I would book ahead. For the Tuscan countryside and Orvieto, we looked for accommodations and we were fine. However, for the cities you mentioned, we booked several weeks ahead for the Marriott. As others have said, for the less expensive hotels you may have to book several months ahead. Have fun.

Posted by
7737 posts

Yep. Book ahead and save your spontaneity for what you do during the day. (Although increasingly you need to book ahead for museum tickets.)