Please sign in to post.

Is this crazy?

Traveling with husband and 11-year-old daughter. Originally planned to be in Florence four nights/three days and Venice three nights/two days. Assumed we would use one of the three Florence days as a daytrip, maybe to Siena. But I've been reading about the Dolomites and am intrigued. Wondering if maybe we could shorten the time in Florence (and avoid museum/art burnout) by taking the train somewhere near the Dolomites (Bolzano?), spending the night there and taking a hike and then taking the train back to Venice? Is that crazy with the amount of time we've got? Just thought it might be nice to mix up our trip--which is heavily focused on cities--with something different. We also love mountains and hiking, and these seem spectacular. Seems a shame to get so close and not see them. On the other hand, maybe it's just too much to do in a short period of time. Thoughts?

Posted by
23460 posts

You knew the answer. Of course, it is. The big issue is the 11 year old. She is not going to have the interest or the stamina to do that kind of tripping. There are some short day trips out of Rome that would work for a change of pace. If you adopt the attitude, "We will see that the next time.", it will ease the stress.

Posted by
282 posts

Yes, it is crazy. With only 3 days in Florence and 2 days in Venice, you have no time for an additional destination.
On your day trip to Siena, you will do plenty of walking up and down the hills of Siena. Another idea would be to do Pisa/Lucca as a day trip instead of Siena and walk or bike the walls around Lucca. Also, walking to/from Piazza Michelangelo in Florence will give you plenty of exercise and non-museum time.

Posted by
893 posts

Lisa - you could check into the tours offered by Walkabout Florence Tours. They do a Cinque Terre trek from Florence that would get you hiking and break up your trip. We did their Best of Tuscany Tour and my 10yo called it his highlight of our Florence trip. One other thing Florence has to offer to break up the art part is the Galileo Museum. I highly recommend it if your daughter likes science at all. My 12yo daughter could have spent all day there.

Posted by
294 posts

I think you should shorten Florence and go to the Dolomites. It will be a nice break from the big city. Yes it is a lot to do but it can be done.

Posted by
16 posts

And just when I had decided to stop thinking of the Dolomites... Actually, I think I'm going with the suggestion for Pisa/Lucca. I think my daughter will get a kick out of the leaning tower and then we can head to Lucca and ride bikes for a bit before heading back to Florencewhere we will definitely check out the Galileo museum. Dolomites feels to me like a place I'd probably want to stay a while, so, sadly, that's going to have to be another trip, another time.

Posted by
676 posts

And if she likes the Leaning Tower,make sure you get the touristy but oh so fun picture of her holding it with her hand.