Please sign in to post.

Verizon iPhone 4s

Hoping to hear from someone who has gone from the US to Italy and used this phone there. What, if anything, did you have to do for it to work? Thanks very much

Posted by
93 posts

I would like to find out as well. I have looked at the International plan to add on, but it looks pricey.

Posted by
1152 posts

Don't have one (Verizon iPhone), but I've found this web site (howard forums) to have the best information about cell phone usage. Check out these threads: How do I use my Verizon iPhone 4S in Europe Using a Verizon iPhone 4S in Europe And, you might need to know how to reset it all once you return home: Verizon iPhone 4S behaving weird after international roaming I hope someone on this forum with actual experience will post something soon. Or, if you loan me your phone and pay for my trip, I'll be happy to check it out for you.

Posted by
7 posts

Last year i brought an unlocked Iphone to Italy and bought a local sim card, worked very well, and not expensive. You can skype an recieve emails with your 4s through wifi at your hotel or public wifi spots

Posted by
61 posts

We spent 3 weeks in Italy and had no problem by using Skype and FaceTime from the iPhone. And...they're FREE!! Anyplace where you can get wi-fi you can easily connect to these two services. Make sure your phone is in airplane mode so you don't incur any roaming charges. We talked to our family for free the entire time. Worked really well.

Posted by
32249 posts

Jeffrey, The information provided by Paul will help you get your Verizon 4S configured for use in Europe (the group on Howard Forums is VERY knowledgeable!). If you buy a PAYG micro-SIM in Italy, it likely won't include data so you'll be limited to voice, text and Wi-Fi. The iPhone 4S is the only Verizon iPhone model that will operate on GSM (AFAIK). For those travelling with international roaming using an AT&T iPhone, it's extremely important to avoid cellular data roaming. I saw one example last year of a traveller who returned home to find a $37,000 bill waiting in the mail. Happy travels!

Posted by
1 posts

Jeffrey,
My wife and I just returned from a trip to Italy a few weeks ago. Before traveling to Italy you need to call international tech-support Verizon in order for them to unlock your phone. You need to have been a Verizon customer for 60 days. You must reach international tech-support or you may find that the representative you speak to can't help you. Once you arrive in Italy just look for a TIM office and they can put in a new MicroSim for you. It's a little tricky and you get a bunch of text messages in Italian. I paid €12 for five euro worth of credit. That gave me enough talk and data and texting for a weeks worth of travel. TIM coverage isn't brilliant but it's certainly good enough!

Posted by
1021 posts

Off the subject, but since it was raised, contrary to what was said it is not necessary to avoid using data in Europe on AT&T. However, it is necessary to get a data roaming plan, as well as understand your data use and how to manage it to stay within the plan limits which is pretty simple to do. But there are much better deals in some countries than US carriers offer, including Italy as John points out. The UK is another country with cheap prepaid data that I know of and I have seen Switzerland and Austria mentioned, too. Get the iPhone unlocked and buy a local sim. Research the Rome forum on Trip Advisor for more info.

Posted by
65 posts

Sorry to have disappearedI'm in Italy and the first hotel only had paid internet, and not a very good connection. I called Verizon before I left. They set me up with no problem. I had to choose a data plan if I wanted to be able to use a data connection, and I did. Adding the data plan dropped the rate for making calls to 99 cents per minute. They were very good about helping figure out what data plan might work (hard to tell since I just got the phone and didn't know how much data I used) Ended up getting a plan that gives me 45mb of data. Used about 22 so far (thanks to those who suggested a tracking appI'm using Data Usage and am very happy with it.) Not too worried about using so much data so soonthe other hotels do have free wifi and we're used to traveling with paper maps and books. Am very glad to have the phone. Not to hijack my own thread but after 8 trips to Italy, we went to Naples for the first time. The myth of the pickpockets is real. Got jammed up boarding the train-couple of guys stopped short and others ran into us from behind. They wallet was in my front pants pocket, and I didn't feel a thing. The real tip off was that they got off the train just as the doors closed, but by then we were pulling out and it was too late. They only got a few eurothe bulk of it tucked away, but still a pain. As an Italian friend put it when he heard I was going to Naples, "They'll steal the shoes off your feet while you're walking."