Please sign in to post.

Rental cars in Florence

I'm going to be in Florence this month and want to rent a car for a couple days to explore a few of the hill towns. Can anyone recommend a "reasonably priced" car rental company?

Posted by
3259 posts

We have used both Auto Europe and Hertz for rentals in Italy. You might compare the two. Auto Europe is actually a broker but they are good. Check out the various locations and the opening/closing hours. I suggest you make sure the pickup and dropoff places are outside the city and any ZTL's. You might even take the train to Lucca, explore for a few hours, and pick up your car there. The Hertz office has easy access to the autostrada and will zip you back east and then south, assuming you are heading that direction.

Posted by
4535 posts

Also remember that an International Drivers Permit is required by law to legally drive in Italy. AAA is the US provider. Italy is also a place where it is more than wise to purchase the full CDW. Factor that into your costs for what is "reasonably priced."

Posted by
1018 posts

Define "reasonable" in dollars or euro. Buon viaggio,

Posted by
32325 posts

David, Have a look at This Website or This Website for rental car information. A few "caveats" on driving in italy.... It's important to note is that for driving in Italy, each driver must have the compulsory International Driver's Permit, which is used in conjunction with your home D.L. These are valid for one year, and easily obtained at any CAA/AAA office (two Passport-sized photos required, which in some cases is offered at the issuing office). Failure to produce an IDP if requested can result in fines on the spot! Have a look at This Website for more detailed information on driving in Italy. You may also want to have a look at some of the other posts here concerning the dreaded Zona Traffico Limitato areas that are becoming increasingly prevalent in many Italian towns & cities ( especially Florence!). EACH PASS through one of the automated Cameras will result in a €100+ ticket! A GPS along with a good Map would also be a good idea. Be sure to also give some thought to the question of CDW. If you accept the CDW offered by the rental firm, it will be expensive but will provide "peace of mind". Some "premium" credit cards provide rental vehicle insurance, however I've found this to be somewhat complicated so I just accept that offered by the rental firm. Check the Car Rental section in Europe Through The Back Door for further information. Happy travels!

Posted by
8304 posts

Check out AutoEurope.com and Hertz.com. I booked a car with Hertz because my company has a fleet rate, and the rate was excellent. AutoEurope was also at a fair rate, and their cars come out of the same Hertz location 1 mile NE of the train station--across the river.

Posted by
3259 posts

Er, David, the Arno River is due south of the train station (SMN) in Florence, and runs generally east and west. So how can a rental car agency one mile NE of the train station be "across the river"?