Please sign in to post.

Train Ticket Purchases

Looking for comments, pro and cons for using the ticketless option to purchase tren italia tickets

Posted by
4152 posts

I have never used ticketless but if you'll be traveling with your cell phone and able to access the information needed on the train it may be a good idea. I like to use paper tickets because I like to keep all my information together and not stored in several areas. My tickets go in my travel folder for the day of use. Donna

Posted by
11338 posts

Sarah,
We opted for ticketless for the Freccias last trip, but I have to say as insurance, I printed out the emails for my pre-purchased trips so I had the "PNR" code handy for the conductor. However mid-trip I had to make a purchase and wondered if it would work since I could not print out my receipt confirmation. I saved the email on my Xoom tablet so I could pull it up if needed on the train, but all I had to do was tell the conductor my PNR code and give him our last name. I was able to do this with a reservation at the Cappella Scrovegni, too. Simply saved my confirmation as a PDF on my tablet and showed it at the desk. Laurel

Posted by
37 posts

Laura,
Would I be ok with jus the print out of the purchase confirmation? I don't understand why you would need to have a pdf copy on a tablet

Posted by
833 posts

Sarah, It is okay to print it out, you are not required to have it on your tablet/iPad - that is just an option for not using paper. As long as you have the code and your last name to present to the conductor, you will be fine.

Posted by
11338 posts

Didn't mean to confuse! Paper is fine. I just wanted to make the point that if you travel with technology you can go paperless in many cases. So if you have to make a res mid-trip, you don't necessarily have to print it out.

Posted by
2207 posts

Many of my Italian friends use the ticketless option often. They NEVER print out their PNR code; they simply hold up their smartphone with the PNR code visible on the email and the conductor enters the info. Me, I'd be too worried my phone battery would die (traveler paranoia!), thus I do a print-out and carry it with me. But you don't need a print-out if you know the code. For more help on going ticketless and using the PNR codes, you might read this article. Good Luck!

Posted by
653 posts

Ron in Rome's advice is right on. I see lots of people just holding up their smart phones for the conductor or museum staff - and I wish I could give up the hard copies I drag along with me, but I have phone/battery trust issues.

Posted by
37 posts

If one person purchases tickets for 2 travelers and the last names are not the same is this a problem when the conductor confirms the ticketless ticket?

Posted by
2207 posts

Sarah, the name used when purchasing tickets is primarily used at a kiosk or for changing tickets. It is "tied" to the PNR number, like a reference point. We often purchased tickets and traveled on "one" ticketed name, even though our groups often had 3-4 different surnames.