Please sign in to post.

Italy train reservations

I have been reading on this site about making reservations for Italian trains when you already have a Eurail Pass. Common advice is to make reservations once you arrive in Europe to avoid the high costs of Rail Europe and Euraide. If I arrive in Switzerland, can I make reservations for Italian trains at any Swiss rail station? I am travelling from Interlaken to Rome with a Spiez-Milan-Rome stretch that requires reservations for both legs. Will 8 days be early enough to get a reservation on a popular route in mid-May?

Posted by
47 posts

I'm going to Italy for the first time this summer, but I've been asking a lot about train reservations too. The general consensus is that you can reserve these Italian train seats as little as right before the train leaves, as they rarely if ever sell out. Even one to two days ahead of time is plenty of notice to make sure you get a seat.

Posted by
40 posts

I'm hoping that is correct. I would like to keep plans flexible and be able to purchase the ticket only 2-3 days in advance. I still haven't been able to find out if Italian train reservations can be made as Swiss rail stations.