Please sign in to post.

ATM/debit card risks

I've heard that there are sophisticated thieves out there who have a little machine that can steal your ATM or debit card information as you walk by. In reference to that I've heard it suggested that an ATM card is safer than an ATM/debit card. Why would that be? Don't you have to use a pin whether you are withdrawing cash and ATM or paying for purchase with your debit card? Mine has the Visa logo. Does that make a difference?

Posted by
4152 posts

The ones they can steal your information from are the ones with the electronic chip inside. Those are the ones you don't need to swipe but the reader can still read it. If you have one of those simply get one of those inexpensive metal wallets to keep it in. This will block the scanner if someone walking by has one. You don't always need to use your pin when using a debit card with a credit card logo. Most places will give you the option of using it as credit or debit. Either way, the money comes out of the same account. To be safe, let your bank know your travel dates and cities. Keep all your receipts and check your account often online. I have an account that only has my travel money in it, not all the money I own. That is in a separate account in case someone does get my information they can't clean me out, just my travel account. Only use ATM's that are connected to an open bank, this way if your card gets stuck one of you can stay with the card and the other can go inside to get some help. Cover the pin pad as well as you can to prevent anyone from seeing your number. Donna

Posted by
612 posts

Thanks, Donna
I'm sure my card does not have a chip as it is a standard US issued card which, as far as I know must be swiped. So those little metal wallet things are only necessary for cards with chips?

Posted by
9100 posts

There are two types of "chip" cards. One is called "chip&pin", you can actually see the chip on the front of the card and it must be in-ser-ted into the reader to be used. It's been adopted most everywhere in the world except the US. The second type is called is EMV-contactless which goes by a few different trade-names like Blink and Paypass. The chip is buried inside the card and radio-waves are used to read your card. It's typically used at chain retailers with a high-volume of business like supermarkets, convenience stores, and fast-food joints. Contactless cards are in widespread use here in the Northeast (and probably other areas in the US), and a few other countries like the UK and Switzerland. Some banks in the UK actually issue cards with both chips imbedded in them. Don't waste your money on those "metal wallet things", the chance of someone walking the streets with a some sort of high-powered homemade card reader is minuscule.