Please sign in to post.

Last Minute Advice

Does anyone have any last minute advice for my fiance and I as well prepare for our honeymoon in Rome, Florence, and Venice? It is our first trip abroad and wanted to know if anyone had any words of wisdom or things they wished they would have known?

Posted by
1589 posts

Remember this:

1. I am sorry.
  2. I was wrong.
  3. I won't do it any more.
  4. You look beautiful.
  5. I love you.
  6. Let's go out for dinner.

It's worked for the past 37 years!

Relax a little more. All plans should be flexible and adaptive.

Posted by
103 posts

First,..CONGRATULATIONS and many many happy years to both of you.. ( You're getting a great start!) How long will you be abroad? Do you prefer the nightlife or museums and churches? Will you be using public transportation or renting a car? There's so much to see and experience.. I would just encourage you both to soak it all in and share the moments with each other. It will stay with you forever. Blessings.. Kate

Posted by
500 posts

I don't have any words of wisdom, but we didn't visit the Borghese Gallery until our third trip to Rome. I don't know why it doesn't get more attention, it is fantastic. You have to have reservations and a limited number of people are admitted at set times, but it is well worth seeing.

Posted by
11 posts

We will be in Rome for 4 days and Florence and Venice 3 days each. We have tours and/or reservations at the biggies such as the Vatican, Colosseum, Borghese Gallery, Uffizi, Accademia, and Doge's Palace. We are planning on using public transportation for almost everything as our hotels are within walking distance of the train stations, with the exception of Venice.

Posted by
4800 posts

In Venice walk the back streets and get to know the real Venice. Go out to Murano and Burano one day if you can get an early start. In Rome be sure and go to Piazza Nurvona (sp) and eat at one of the many cafes. Be sure to use a money belt in Rome.

Posted by
4132 posts

Words of wisdom? Okay, maybe:

If there's a duomo or a tower or a castle with a view, climb it.

If there's food you don't recognize, try it.

If you can see or do something interesting only it costs a few euros, go for it.

Congratulations and have a wonderful honeymoon!

Posted by
689 posts

My two cents -

Relax. Enjoy where you are. Don't rush through things - especially meals. Italians are rather laid back - join them in that concept. Take advantage of Siesta -

Mail yourselves postcards.

In Venice - in Piazza St Marco - take a seat at one of the outdoor cafes (yes they are pricey but you can sit there as long as you wish) it is very romantic and great people watching.

If you don't have issues with Pigeons - buy a sack of corn and see how many you can get to land on you. My husband had a lot of fun photographing me - collecting pigeons.

Enjoy Italy. What a fabulous place to start your lives together. Congratulations on your marriage!

Posted by
705 posts

Agree with all the above, just relax and go with the flow. You look as if you have covered all the 'biggies' so just wander the streets and enjoy observing the locals going about their business. Do wander the back streets of Venice, you find the most wonderful little shops and interesting sights. Take the vaporetto down the Grand Canal just for the ride and try it at dusk, early evening - just magic. You will have a wonderful time - what a great honeymoon.

Posted by
127 posts

i'll throw in my 2 cents: i did all the museums that i could, went to all the places that were advised. but ....the long lasting memories i have of rome, florence, and naples, was when i was doing NOTHING, going NOWHERE, just sitting and breathing it all in.
i wanna do it again, and work more on going nowhere, doing nothing... ;}

Posted by
423 posts

I would agree with Jim - just sitting and taking it all in - just "being" there. The sites, smells, people, silence, church bells...

Enjoy!

Posted by
359 posts

Yes - don't drink all of the wine; I'm going to be there next week!
Congrat's and enjoy - try to find a way to relax.
When you take pictures, be sure to get each other (and the both of you) in them. It's one thing to have pictures of neat places, but it's another to have pictures of the both of you sharing these neat places - especially on your honeymoon!

Posted by
2324 posts

Eat gelato every day. Twice even (it counts as a fruit or dairy depending on flavor). Strike up a conversation with a local, even if they don't understand you or you them. Give yourselves permission to do nothing but hold hands and watch the sun set over the canal in Venezia or over St. Peters in Roma. Eavesdrop on the high strung Italians gossiping - I loved doing this even if I didn't understand a word they were saying (especially how they say goodbye...ciao, ciao, ciao, ciao, as if it's a competition). Did I mention the gelato?

Posted by
126 posts

Keep a simple journal. You will do so much, it is impossible to remember everything. Even on day 4, when you read back over days 1-3, you will say to yourself, "oh, I forgot we did that". My journal is always very basic, I buy the Mead Five Star, 3 or 5 subject that measures approx 7" x 9", at Wal-Mart, Target etc. This spiral book also has several pocket pages that makes a nice holder for maps, postcards etc. My first page has my airplane intinerary taped in. I take a small roll of scotch tape and include items like museum tickets, business cards from places I stay, and small pictures I cut from brochures of places I visit to go along with what I write. Just keep it in your backpack and write on the train, before dinner, or whenever you have 5 minutes. You won't regret it, and it will be very handy for when you return. Have a wonderful time, you are very lucky, most of us had to wait many years before we could travel to Europe.

Posted by
67 posts

What a wonderful place to spend your honeymoon. I agree with other posts about sitting at an outdoor cafe for a meal and drinking wine. Start a conversation with the people sitting next to you. We met many friends this way. We spent every night relaxing at a cafe after a long day of sight seeing. One tip I have for you is to carry a small bottle of hand sanitizer with you. I used my constantly. Happy travels!!

Posted by
712 posts

Wow, what a great honeymoon.
Be sure to be at the top of the Spansh Steps one night at sunset to see it over St. Peter's. We happened to be there by accident at sunset and it was beautiful. In Venice if you don't or can't take a Gondola ride - Ride the Traghetto - it is about half a euro and the cheapest Gondola ride you'll ever take. Besides going down the Grand Canal, also take the circular trip on Vapapretto 41/42 - It will give you a tour all around and island and to Murrano. Of course by the vaparetto pass the lets you hop on and off for at least 2 days. Definetly sit in one of the out door cafes in St. Mark's square one eveing - splurge, have a drink, get a front row table if possible, and sit and listen to the music for the night. Use the toilets in restaurants, museums, hotels as needed. Why spend 1 Euro if you can use a nicer one. If young and enegetic, take the elevetor to the top of St. Peter's to see the dome from the inside, then hike up to the very top for great views.