Please sign in to post.

train from Rome airport to Florence

I will be arriving by air to FCO and taking the train to Florence. The airplane arrives early @8am.........I remember there is a
speed train to Florence. Does anyone remember the length of time it takes to get there or the price? I remember (?) @ eu70. Am I in the ballpark?

Posted by
23340 posts

First you need to get to the train station in Rome - Termini. Use the Leonard Express from the airport to Termini and then the train to Florence. Go to bahn.com is you just want to see the schedules and times or go to trenitalia.com for pricing and schedules. Bahn is a little easier to use if just looking for the times.

Posted by
32220 posts

donna, When you arrive at FCO, you'll first need to take the Leonardo Express to Roma Termini. They depart about every half hour and the trip is about 30-minutes. It's a very pleasant trip. You can purchase tickets right at the airport station, either from a ticket window or an automated Kiosk. When I was there a few months ago the cost was €14 at the Kiosk and €15 at the ticket window. DON'T forget to validate! At Roma Termini, you'll transfer to the EuroStar Italia / Alta Velocita / Freccia. There are frequent departures and the trip is about 1H:30M. Second class fare is currently listed at €45. You can also purchase your ticket for the trip to Florence at the station at FCO (Kiosk or ticket window). You'll have reserved seats for the trip to Florence, so be sure to note the Car No. and Seat No. on your ticket. If you buy your ticket for both trains at the airport, be sure to allow adequate time to make your connection at Termini. Allow about 10-minutes to walk from the arrival point of the Leonardo Express (Track 24?) to the front of the station where you'll be able to access the platform for the train to Florence. When you purchase your ticket to Florence, be sure to specify the destination as Firenze SMN. I travelled the Rome-Florence route in September, and it's a very nice trip! Happy travels!

Posted by
1501 posts

Thank you ALL!!! I knew I could rely on the RS travellers to refresh my memories!!! Printing it out! I did it once before probably 5 years ago, and I just could't remember the logistics -- now I remember the
"validating!"

Posted by
2207 posts

Frank and Ken have answered your question completely... but for some photos, maps and help on your path from the plane to the train(s), these articles may assist you and supplement their comments: First, Arriving at FCO and then getting through the Terminal 3 Arrivals Area at Fiumicino Airport. After you've picked up your luggage, you'll head to the FCO train station. From there you can use the Trenitalia counter, or a kiosk to purchase your train tickets. As mentioned by both gentlemen, you'll jump on The Leonardo Express and head from the FCO airport to the Roma Termini Station. Once at Roma Termini, you'll connect on your AV train (the fastest) to Florence. The trains are easy to use and you'll validate in the LE, but you'll have assigned seating on the AV train from Rome to Florence. Good Luck!