Please sign in to post.

Customs in Rome

I am traveling to Rome next week and was just wondering what the process will be like or what I can expect when I go through customs there. Thank You,
Ashley

Posted by
1589 posts

As a tourist, you are unlikely to have anything to declare- go to the " nothing to declare" line.

Posted by
3 posts

Okay, thank you! What would I have to declare if anything?

Posted by
23460 posts

Customs is nothing. It is immigrations that can hold you up but it is still fairly simple. Wait in line, present passport, and maybe answer a couple of questions. Getting back into the US is much harder.

Posted by
33204 posts

Things you might have to are any items which are restricted. Large quantities of cigarettes or other tobacco, illegal drugs, gifts for Italians over a limit, items to sell or commercial samples, large (very large) quantities of cash money, dead illegal animal species, live animals, certain foods, plant seed, fish. Large quantities of alcohol. Bananas. Weapons, firearms, swords. Other things you are restricted from importing. The USDA and US Customs maintain lists for other countries. (same or similar rules on return to the US, just a lot tougher).

Posted by
2207 posts

Ashley, as suggested, customs is basically a "walk-through." You DON'T have anything to declare! To see some pictures and "maps" of the arrival process - and the customs exit area at FCO - you might look at this article, Terminal 3 Arrivals at Fiumicino Airport. Good Luck!

Posted by
131 posts

Are you flying straight from the states to Rome? We flew to Frankfurt and there was no customs or immigration. We were so shocked when we just got our bags and walked right out.

Posted by
131 posts

Sorry that say we flew in thru Frankfurt.

Posted by
3 posts

I have a layover in Washington D.C. then fly from there straight to Rome

Posted by
1003 posts

I've read about some people having problems upon leaving Europe (if you're flying out of a different airport from Rome) when they did not have their passport stamped at immigration upon arrival at rome. I never even thought about it and luckily I was flying home through Rome but my passport was not stamped on arrival last May. Basically anyone with a US passport was just waved through. I'd recommend asking to get it stamped, just to be sure. Otherwise, I found customs and immigration in Rome quite easy and fast. A lot of that depends on arrival time and how many other flights are coming in around the same time as yours.

Posted by
87 posts

I'm prompted to write after reading Debra's comment. When my daughter and I arrived in late Sept. to the almost empty airport in Rome, she went up to one booth and got her passport stamped. I went to the other. My guy waved me through without even looking at me, as he was busily discussing something (soccer, maybe?) with 2 other young men in the booth. I wasn't sure that was a good idea, so I went back to him and requested a stamp. Figured it couldn't hurt. He kind of rolled his eyes at my request, but that seemed survivable. You could do the same, if you feel the need. Other than the booth where they look at your passport, we encountered no questioning or attention of any kind when we arrived in Italy. Make sure your pockets are empty when you go back through the various checkpoints, both in Italy and US, returning to the states.
a small piece of metallic foil (gum wrapper) was in my pocket. I was "wanded" and quite rudely treated by the woman doing it. My daughter was ready to take her on, but I wasn't really interested in missing our connecting flight. Have a great trip!