Please sign in to post.

Train strikes

I understand that when the trains go on strike in Italy that some of the train lines still run. Is there any way to know which train lines will still be running in case of a strike?

Posted by
7737 posts

Yes, there is. See Ron in Rome for info on Strikes in Italy If you're staying at a hotel, they can also be of assistance to you in figuring it out. Happy travels.

Posted by
32253 posts

Sharon, Staff at the train stations should also be able to provide information on which trains are running. However, you'll probably find that there are long queues to speak to them. From what I've seen, trains still operate on most routes, but at a greatly reduced frequency. Most strikes seem to last for a specific duration, and they're announced ahead of time.

Posted by
6898 posts

By Italian law, there will be guaranteed minimum train service on many essential train routes. www.trenitalia.com has a selection on their main English web page that describes this law. It also has a link to the trains that will run in the event of a strike. However, this schedule is only in Italian but you can figure out the runs you need.

Posted by
7737 posts

And the information Larry gives is the same as you'll find on Ron in Rome's page, but it has links. Good luck.

Posted by
94 posts

let me tell you about my adventure. before we went to Italy we new that there was going to be a strike when we left Sorrento. the train strike was early morning to 1:30. at 1:30 to 5:00 you were able to ride the train. w e got back to Rome by 4:50. By 5:00 exactly they were canceling everything. Take it in strive its a adventure.