Please sign in to post.

Rome trip

I read that a lot of things in Florence are closed on Sunday. I thought about going to Rome to see the Sistine Chapel the Sunday I am there. Is this a good idea as far as the train schedule and such? If not ate there other cities I can make a side trip to you would recommend?

Posted by
7737 posts

What you read is wrong. It's Mondays that the big sites are closed in Florence. You should buy the RS Italy book, specifically the Florence/Tuscany book. It has an excellent summary of what's closed each day of the week. It will be the smartest money you spend on your vacation. It would be helpful to know where you read that so we can warn others away from it as a source. Happy travels.

Posted by
23268 posts

The actually train ride via and express train is about 90 minutes. A regional train, which is the slowest, might take four hour.

Posted by
20 posts

I was going to take an express train to rome in the morning and do the Sistine chapel tour look around a bit of I have time and head back to Florence before it gets dark. I'm mainly going to be in Florence as my base for the week but gotta try and see the chapel since I'll be relatively close.

Posted by
4152 posts

Unless it's the last Sunday of the month you won't be able to see the Sistine Chapel on a Sunday. They are open on the last Sunday of the month and incredibly crowded. If you wish to see you'll have to come on another day. I would avoid Monday as a lot of sites in Rome are closed on Mondays making the Vatican museums a very popular choice. Donna