Please sign in to post.

Getting Around

I still don't have a clear idea on the train/car issue. For example, fly into Florence and rent a car for trips to Tuscany, or just take the local trains? What's more convenient and economical?

Posted by
23282 posts

Generally a car is more convenient. The train is more economical especially if you received a TLZ ticket or two about six months after return. Also depends on whether a train goes where you want to go.

Posted by
4152 posts

I think it really depends on where, exactly, you want to go. I would check the trenitalia site to see what train options you have for the cities you wish to visit. The train will be cheaper. A car will be more convenient but as Frank says, there are ZTL's (limited traffic zones)to consider, you must also pay for gas and parking. If the towns you wish to visit are easily reached by train I would suggest taking it and saving the money and possible headaches. Donna

Posted by
653 posts

Don't forget buses, which can get you closer to the center of some hill towns, and cost about the same as a train, but have the benefit of countryside travel (to a limited extent).

Posted by
6 posts

Thanks to everyone for your kind help. Now itenerary changed new questions to come.