Please sign in to post.

Christmas in Rome

We were planning to attend the midnight mass at the Vatican while on our vacation. Are there any reservations or tickets needed for this?

Posted by
17 posts

I attended midnight Eve Mass last Christmas Eve. Tickets are absolutely necessary but are free. American tourists obtain their tickets by email request to "visitorsoffice@pnac.org".

The website "www.pnac.org" explains about everything you want to know for your visit.

I'd recommend emailing for tickets as soon as you can because there is a huge demand for them. PNAC is allotted only so many tickets. St Peter's floor space covers 6 acres and the church is jam packed.

It's a long wait in line to get in. On picking up your tickets, they will advise you arrive between 6:00PM and 8:00PM or you may not get in. I arrived at 5:30PM and was almost at the head of the line. You will have to pass thru security equipment similar to an airport when they open the "gates" to the church about 10:00. Run like mad to try to get a seat on the center aisle where the procession occurs. Cameras and picture taking thru out Mass allowed.