Please sign in to post.

Taxis

Do taxi drivers accept credit cards in Rome? Will they accept tips in dollars or only Euro?

Posted by
683 posts

If you were working for somebody in the US and he offered to pay you in Mexican pesos would you be happy with that? It costs money to turn American money into spendable cash-- and in Europe it isnt worth much

Posted by
23245 posts

Cheap !!!! and no credit cards. Everybody likes cash. Even the Italians.

Posted by
712 posts

We paid in Euro's and tipped in Euro's in Sept.
Most expensive taxi ride was 12 Euros.
I loved the taxi driver that was watching TV - a game, I think socceer - while driving, but only at red lights, the rest of the time he was just listening (I hope).

Posted by
448 posts

It is rather an interesting question/amusing...What would be the response of a New York taxi driver if i tried to pay with a credit card..and offered euros for the tip???

Posted by
689 posts

We paid by credit card for a trip from the city center to the airport. But that was a pre-arranged private car - not the traditional taxi.

The most expensive traditional taxi we took in Rome was from the Colisium to the Vatican - 6 euros. Just plan to pay cash. EUROS.

Posted by
221 posts

just be careful of crooked drivers in Rome, we got taken even after reading the warning notes in the guidebook. Even at legit taxi stands, the illegal cabs will be there. Look for not only a car number on the side but the company phone number. If there isn't a fare sheet hanging in the back seat, don't get in and always ask before you leave how much it will cost to your destination and then stick to your guns when you get there. Learn some Italian. Have small bills with you in euros 5's and 10's.