Please sign in to post.

renting a car in italy

Is there anything special i need for renting a car in italy?

A friend of mine needed an international drivers license for renting in spain.

Anything like that?

Posted by
3 posts

No - not that I know of - I rent usually at Florence Airport and no need for a special license. Will be renting again 10/24 in Florence. carrentals.com

Posted by
4555 posts

You need an international driver's permit to drive in Italy, essentially a translation of your regular driver's license (which you must bring along, too). Get them at your local AAA, about $15 and two passport-sized photos.

Posted by
10344 posts

My AAA also takes the passport sized photos, so it's one stop shopping for your $15.

Posted by
479 posts

Lori, depending on what time you're going, the locals in Italy often use chains on their tires when driving in the snow. It's not mandatory that you do this, but you will see people on the side of the road putting their chains on for the snow.

Other than the international driver's permit there is nothing special you need. Also, if you have the proper credit card, there is often a CDW included free of charge on the credit card that is just as good if not better than the one that the car rental company uses. I have experience with Mastercard. Other than being a little slow, the CDW worked perfectly.

Posted by
805 posts

You do need an IDP, as described above. We were asked for it when picking up our car in Florence. Also, be aware that you will almost certainly be reuqired to buy the Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) because of the theft/damage risk in Italy. Make sure that any price you get includes the CDW so you can control your costs from the start.