Please sign in to post.

Transportation from Rome to Sorrento

We are flying into Rome and spending three nights and then traveling to Sorrento for a six night stay.
what is the best way to get to Sorrento. I have read different opinions.

Posted by
11337 posts

I follow Rick Steves' advice: high-speed train from Rome to Naples, transfer to Circumvesuviana which drops you in Sorrento.

Posted by
4152 posts

I agree with Laurel. Take the train. It's fast and inexpensive. Be sure not to pack more than you can lift over your head as the steps onto the train are very steep and there is no one to help with luggage. Donna

Posted by
257 posts

You can take the bus. It will take about 3 hours and 30 minutes. Cheaper than the train. No train change.

Posted by
91 posts

I agree with the above suggestion. The Rome-Sorrento bus ride (with either Curreri or Marozzi companies) is easier, cheaper, and faster than any train combination. No changing trains and station levels in Naples, no dragging and lifting suitcases -- which travel just below your bus seats. Choice of early morning or early afternoon departures. And you save many euros in the process. What's there not to like?

Posted by
784 posts

I too loved the bus from Rome to Sorrento (actually, we went further- to Positano). It was great! We used Marozzi. This was in July just past. It was only 20 euro pp.

Posted by
4 posts

Thank you for your suggestions! I'm interested in the idea of going on the bus as I am 62 and carrying luggage up stairs is not impossible,but it is a little challenging. But what is the time difference between the train and the bus? Is there a difference in scenery as you travel from one to the other? Thank you for any answers!

Posted by
8700 posts

Rome-Naples: 1hr10min on high-speed EuroStar Italia trains, a little over 2 hours on IC trains, and 3 hours on Regionale trains. Naples-Sorrento: 1hr5min on Circumvesuviana commuter trains. Include connection time in Naples and getting from the upper level to the lower level at the Napoli Centrale station. Rome-Sorrento on Marozzi bus: 3hr45min - 4hr. Rome-Sorrento on Curreri bus: 3hr30min.

Posted by
257 posts

The scenery between Naples and Sorrento are all low income buildings. Bad. Also, as a senior please be more careful to change train in Naples Central Station. It is the home for picket pickers. I was there last May. I did not want to go outside the train station. Have a good trip!

Posted by
1322 posts

curious, because I am thinking of taking the bus from Rome to Sorrento in October or November 2012 = is this possible? I read on TripAdvisor that it doesn't run past the end of October. Is this true?