Please sign in to post.

Rome...romantic city?

Hello all, As part of my Europe trip this winter, I'm still indecisive if to include Rome. Apart from Trevi fountain, Colosseum, Spanish Steps...what is so special about tis city? I heard tat Rome indeed is a romantic city...? Hope someone can share your travel experience here esply couples!! Many thanks.

Posted by
1446 posts

Hello MJ. I personally loved Rome; it's dynamic and exciting yet it's not so large that it's overwhelming. I personally think all of Italy is romantic, Rome included. Aside from the tourist activities that you mentioned, I also really enjoyed taking in the views from the top of the Vittorio Emmanuel Monument, Trajan's Market, peope-watching (especially at night) in Piazza Navona, etc. It's incredible to walk around a city where you know people lived 2000 years ago! We loved strolling after dinner with a gelato in hand and settling in a piazza somewhere just watching the world go by. We were in Rome for 5 days and it wasn't enough for me; I could easily spend another 5 days there. I would definitely include Rome in your itinerary if it's not out of your way. You mentioned that you'll be visiting in winter. I would definitely visit Rome from the standpoint that if it's raining, there are many indoor sites (museums, etc.) that you can visit. Have a great trip.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks Sheron :) Most likely i will include Rome as Venice is in our list. Just tat i need some advise to convince myself tat Rome is worth a visit..lol. Most of my frens been to Rome and all i can see from their albums are those places i mentioned above..fountain, colosseum so i was wondering if tat's all about this city. Gelato!! Haha..sure wil try it in Italy during winter. BTW, do you hve any hotel recommendation? Thanks again.

Posted by
23318 posts

If you have to be convinced to visit Rome, I am not sure I can do it because I have no idea what is important to you. For lots of folks and myself, it is simply the history and it's role in western civilization. Sure, you see a lot of pictures of Trevi, Colosseum, the steps, because that is what people take pictures of and so did I. But when I think of Rome those are not the images that first come to mind. Maybe with the exception of the Colosseum. Maybe you should prepare for your trip by reading some of the excellent history written about Rome, the Romans, Italy, etc. It is always so hard to tell other people what they should and should not see.

Posted by
7737 posts

IMHO, almost any city can be romantic, depending on who you're with. There's lots of Rome apart from the three sites you listed. Check out my photos from a trip we took in 2008: Rome May 2008

Posted by
83 posts

Rome is one of my favorite cities. If you have Rick Steves' Rome book, do the nighttime walks that he recommends. Seeing the fountains and buildings lit was a very special part of our trip. We spent the days doing the Forum, Colessium, Vatican, Pantheon, catacombs, etc. and did the walks at night. I don't think you will be disappointed in Rome.

Posted by
4152 posts

If you have to be convinced then maybe Rome isn't for you. You really should get a guide book to determine if there are things there you really want to see and do. Without knowing you it's impossible to say if we think you'll find Rome romantic or not. It's really a personal thing I agree that any city can be romantic if you are with the right person but you must also have interests in the city to make it seem romantic. Rome is one of my favorite cities and I love visiting. Being able to see and touch thousands of years of history all in the same day is truly amazing. Donna

Posted by
4535 posts

I personally find Rome exasperating, loud, crowded, dirty, etc... But I do love it for the sights and after a while I calm down. My wife is the opposite on Rome. And we have opposite opinions about Paris... In other words, to each their own and you'd be crazy not to include it but don't be surprised if it isn't all that you imagined.

Posted by
515 posts

I know a couple who think that sky diving together is romantic. Anyway, it can be cold and rainy (or just plain cold) in Rome during winter. That may or may not match your personal ideal of a romantic setting.

Posted by
653 posts

One of the most romantic days I spent in Rome with my beloved was at the Borghese Gallery (you need to get tickets in advance) and wandering through the gardens in the park; a boat ride on the lake; and definitely the nighttime walks in Rome. You can walk from the gallery and park to the Pincio for a beautiful view of Rome below, then to Piazza del Popolo. This is close enogh to the Spanish Steps for some romantic shopping in the afternoon, before dinner and Rome after dark. However, I really think romance is something you take with you, not something you find somewhere. So pack lots of it, wherever you decide to go.

Posted by
7737 posts

The fact that you'll be there in winter is what makes this a really interesting question. No boat rides on the lake for you. And Venice in winter, for example, can be miserable.

Posted by
16 posts

Thanks all for sharing your opinion. I got an idea that 'romantic' is very subjective. Will take time to enjoy Rome since we have 4D3N in this city. With a relaxing itinerary and since this is our 1st new year celebration in winter Italy ( I'm from Singapore with all year warm and humid weather ;p ), looking forward a memorable trip with my beloved. Thanks again everyone. Cheers :)

Posted by
74 posts

My wife and i loved our week in Rome. Yes, we did the "non-romantic" stuff during the day, but teh evenings were special. We stayed in an apartment very near Piazza Navona (Palazzo Olivia- I highly recommend it.) The area is full of narrow streets full of sidewalk cafes and small shops. Walking the streets with a cup of gelato (yes, you should, even in October) and watching the people in Piazza Navona was a true Roman experience. The evening walks have made as many memories as the Coliseum and the Vatican.