Please sign in to post.

Two weeks in italy

I am renting a villa in Comporsevoli. It is located on the border of Tuscany and Umbria. Besides that I have a week to travel. I am interested in traveling the coastline, probably the west coast from Rome northward. Any recommendations? Also does anyone have any suggestions regarding day trips through Umbria. While my wife and I enjoy culture what we really love is small towns, winery and farmer's markets etc.? Thanks in advance for any help/advice.

Posted by
48 posts

I can't find that town on a map so I have no idea where it is, but the west coast of Italy is not easily accessible for day trips to hill towns in Umbria. The most well-loved small towns in Umbria include Spello, Assisi, Spoleto, Gubbio, among countless others.

Posted by
11334 posts

Here is a great source on things to do in Umbria: http://www.brigolante.com/blog/. For your other week of "coastline" travel, have you considered the Amalfi Coast? Most people would advise against driving, but it is very accessible by train and bus. Sorrento is the classic base, but Positano and Amalfi are options.

Posted by
15 posts

Sorry for the typo; the town is CAmporsevoli. It is located south of Castiglione del Lago. Our plan is to fly to Rome, maybe take a train to Pisa and either work our way up or down the coast for a few days before going to the villa. That will be our home base for the remaining week. The plan is to possibly ride bikes and do day trips in 'Tuscany and Umbria from there.

Posted by
8680 posts

Take the train from Rome to Chiusi and rent your car there. That's what I did when I visited friend's home in San Casciano dei Bagni. Loads of small towns in that area of Italy. As I posted on another message board I still dream of the meal I had at La Cava in the town of Radicoffini. No one spoke English. As a single woman walking in alone, all conversation ceased and all eyes followed me to a table. An older man came over, smiled, pour me a glass of wine and gave me a menu. Soon everyone got over staring and went back to chatting, laughing, dining and drinking. When my meal arrived I was invited to dine with a family at a near by table and did so. One of my most favorite dining experiences of all times. An interesting day trip would be to Lake Trasimeno and onto Perugia. As wine drinkers at trip to nearby Montepulcaino has to be on your list. Sienna as well which is about an hour and a half drive. Although you may never wish to leave there. Can't help with the coastal towns. A part of Italy I've not yet visited and a reason to return. Bella Italia!