Please sign in to post.

plug adapter

So I thought I was all set until I was trying out my new travel hair straightener and found the it has a polarized plug (one side bigger) anyone have suggestions where to get an adapter for this or what it is called so my searching has better results? also does that mean that I need a power converter? it said 120/240 on it. Thanks again!

Posted by
23343 posts

Just go a Radio Shack or any travel section of a luggage store, Wal-Mart and buy an adapter for the part of Europe you are headed for. Just look to make sure it will handle a polarized plug. You can tell by looking.

Posted by
2876 posts

And you don't need a voltage converter if you have a 120/240 appliance - just a plug adapter.

Posted by
515 posts

about 6 months ago there were postings that covered every possible aspect of this topic. The webmaster's Search Archives links will bring up all of them.

Posted by
99 posts

Thanks. I ask because I don't have a great selection of stores and what I do have don't have the right kind of plug so I have to buy online and it isn't always apparent if it is what I want, So was wondering if it had a special name or something that I didn't know about. I hadn't thought of Radio shack though so will try there soon.

Posted by
32222 posts

Leslie, You should absolutely be "safe" ordering from Magellans, as they're a large and well established firm. I believe they have a toll-free number so if you have any questions, give them a call.

Posted by
79 posts

You can buyy the adapters from the Travel Store on Rick Steve's web site!

Posted by
1446 posts

For the last two years I have been buying my plug adapters - US to EU - from Ebay and I usually receive them from overseas (Hong Kong) within a couple of weeks. I tend to forget them in the plugs, so I usually leave with 2 or 3... they're small and cheap. The last ones I bought in April came to much less than a dollar each (including shipping). Since 120/240 has become a norm for most things, you now do not need a converter, only a simple plug adapter... just like your hair straightener. Edited to add - I also try to buy them in different shapes/sizes, as the sockets themselves can be different - still with the two round prongs - but deeply recessed or narrow or oddly placed.

Posted by
15 posts

If you get to Italy and find you don't have the right adapter, you can always buy one or more there. We have had to do that in several countries where we had adapters with us but they didn't fit into the round plastic thingy that surrounded the plug. It really isn't a huge problem to find a store. We even did it in Turkey when we truly spoke almost no Turkish.

Posted by
7737 posts

Be sure to read Ron in Rome on the whole adapter question. We were in Italy this past May and found that we needed three different styles of adapters to fit the various outlets that we had in our rooms. Ron explains it best and in his usual thorough detail and with helpful pictures: Power in Italy